Jimmy Kimmel's message to the anti-vaccine movement

So, where’s the silver bullet, magic pill Dr. Oz? Since you seem to know so much about these things? Cockamamie notions, magic and potions are all that I see in your pharmacy.

Who’s talking about imprisonment? Not me. Unless you’ve decided to take facetious comments as literal. No, I’m not advocating your imprisonment.

I get it – you’ve chosen a completely passive and simple way to be ‘oppressed’: you just have to not go to the doctor, and instantly, you’re ‘oppressed’ by fascist Internet people who think vaccines are pretty smart. But when your arguments are, by your own admission, junk science, and now you’re saying that clinically depressed people should just look out the window instead of seeking help – and now you’re also saying that vaccines are “magic” – you expect people to take you remotely seriously in a debate?

4 Likes

I mean, if that kind of ridiculous non sequitur question is how serious you want to take something known to have prevented thousands of deaths from this, I don’t know why I’d bother with a more serious answer. Please go learn something about this; if not, have a nice life, but hopefully far away from the rest of us.

4 Likes

http://www.hrsa.gov/vaccinecompensation/index.html

‘Actual Immunity’ = ‘Lucky enough not to have died when he caught it’

3 Likes

Luck is finding 255 4 & 5 leaf clovers in a 10x5 plot.

I don’t think it’s okay. I’ve had whooping cough. The clinic turned me away when I asked for help. Give the kid some chocolate. Theobromine is better at cough suppression than codeine.

Personally, I believe that someone who doesn’t know how antibodies work needs to reevaluate their level of certainty in their beliefs about medicine.

9 Likes

Even so. If you want to bandy anecdata, my lungs are permanently fucked from really bad whooping cough as a kid, as my mother was a crazy anti-vaxxer even then. I had many preventable diseases as a child, and they were all fucking horrible.

6 Likes

How about we all sit down and have a nice cup of tea?

Excuse me, can someone pick that up for me? I just dropped some knowledge.

Any takers? No? Okay.

It’s always good to know about medicines proven to be effective, whether they come in the form of microbes injected into your bloodstream or a plant preparation. One doesn’t cancel the other out. In a year like this, where the flu is an unusual rogue variant, having alternate methods is handy. But unless you’ve got a naturopathic remedy for measles in your teacup, there’s an alternative absolutely proven to be effective.

2 Likes

Let me get right on that.

In the meantime, tough it out.

http://www.vaccinationcouncil.org/2013/01/18/the-ineffectiveness-of-measles-vaccines-and-other-unintended-consequences-by-dr-viera-scheibner-phd/

While you wait, here is something for that nasty HIV-1 virus.

http://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/np990180u

You can stop pointing out how various plant compounds can kill viruses, we all know. @nungesser already explained how it doesn’t preclude the value of vaccines. More to the point, if you actually understood them, you’d realize the sort of things google is giving you don’t actually demonstrate they are effective treatments.

There are tons of papers about natural compounds that kill HIV in vitro, in hopes that some might also lead to workable cures, and that’s all the one you posted does. Likewise, did you perhaps notice the paper you posted about saponins killing influenza mentions they are also toxic to host cells, and that more research needs to be done into what makes the compounds effective and their safety?

No, of course not. Because apparently it’s not enough to show off how you don’t understand immune systems, vaccines, and antibodies, you need to make it absolutely clear there isn’t a single part of medicine you understand and aren’t willing to correct any of those misconceptions.

As far as Scheibner, she doesn’t exactly have a lot of credibility. We all know you can find plenty of people claiming vaccines are poisons that have brought mortality to humankind, but the point is that all the evidence is against that. I don’t know why you don’t care, but you might be able to get it into your head that your demonstrated ignorance means you aren’t going to convince anyone who does.

6 Likes

found it in a book.

Can you make sure the coast is clear for me?

That’s why I suggested a cup of tea.

Given that about 90% of the posting parties are in favor of vaccines, I think we can set aside the push for herd immunity. If herd immunity is reached and you still harbor a fear in the risk of infection from individuals without vaccines, I conclude, that only points to evidence of your own mistrust in the vaccinations and the medical community. Then, it really is only a question of the power of your own beliefs.

Dude evolution works more along the lines of what does not fail rather than what actually works. I am glad it got us above sitting around the forest eating leaves and bugs but yeah it could have made some better choices for a working bipedal thinking being it was based on what worked anyway. Sorry man, go live in a cave away from everyone.
I had an uncle in a wheel chair from polio and I am not that freaking old (I dunno is 47 that damn old?). Vaccines are a good thing probably too good because we all grew up not seeing our friends die from whooping cough, measles, polio, small pox, and whatever else and now the damn kids are getting sick cause the parents need to beat with a clue bat because they are idiots who are ‘well i never got sick’ cause well duh we made sure you didn’t.
Not to say that vaccination is totally safe but you know what the risk of side effects is miniscule compared to the risk of getting the disease, so like all things in life it is a balance in risk and I will take the risk of the vaccine over the risk of getting whooping cough which I recently got a booster for because there was an outbreak locally and I remember a coworker who caught it a few years before who ended coughing hard enough to break a rib. Think about that, you coughed hard enough to fucking break your own ribs and you get to keep coughing with broken ribs. Sorry nope nope nope. I will take an arm that is probably sore for a day or so over that.

5 Likes

What do you have against trees, leaves and bugs? I am planting a garden between postings. I also plan on making cicada-bobs for the grill this summer. As well, I quite enjoy spelunking.

I have dislocated joints from coughing. What did I do? I stretched and popped it back in place. Yoga. And now, a word from Yoda.

Try that with a broken rib.

I have broken several ribs, Chuck. I never went to the hospital. They healed stronger. It was a snowboarding fall.