Joe Biden becomes first presidential candidate in U.S. history to cross 75 million votes

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/11/06/joe-biden-becomes-first-presidential-candidate-in-u-s-history-to-cross-75-million-votes.html

6 Likes

And that’s even with all the voter suppression tactics.

Just imagine how many people might vote if we made it so that everyone has equal access and ease, no matter what they look like, or where they live…

48 Likes

I predict this record will be broken within the next 100 years … or when the population increases by 25% or so, whichever comes first.

6 Likes

Well, not by everybody.

I’ve been starting to wonder about that. The normal punctuation mark is when the loser concedes, but that presupposes the loser not being a total piece of shit. And normally news outlets declare a winner once it’s clear that someone has won, rather than waiting for every last procedural step to be complete (in January). So I’m curious to know exactly where the New York Times draws the line between “caution” and “promoting Turmp’s bullshit for him”.

12 Likes

He’s leading by about 4 million votes, and there’s still a question about who the winner will be. Only in America.
I’ve explained the Electoral College to my German wife several times, and she always thought I was getting something wrong. So I sent her the German wiki page. She read it and said, “You were right. It’s just more fucked up than I thought it could possibly be.”

18 Likes
7 Likes

Yeah, it’s interesting that the media are being so cautious about declaring. Everyone knew they needed to be cautious because of Trump making crazy claims, but they’re rather overdoing it at this point, which is, ironically, feeding into Trump’s crazy bullshit, the exact thing they were trying to avoid. I thought they would do it today, but… surely by Monday?

6 Likes

I honestly don’t know if I’m being paranoid or not. It’s right that news organisations set rules and follow them. But also, when you’re anxiously refreshing their home page, you’re reminded that these organisations are like pigs in shit for as long as the misery is stretched out.

Pah

Let’s just hope they have a well-defined point where they will admit Biden has won, and that we get there before Turmp manages to make everything about him and his bullshit yet again.

2 Likes

Whilst the headline is true and to be celebrated, it is also factual, and somehow more satisfying, to say that Trump becomes the first incumbent presidential candidate in US history to have 75 million votes cast against him.

8 Likes

I gotta admit, pixel peeping at the numbers as they roll in a few hundred ballots at a time, I would still be loathe to call AZ right now. Sure, PA and probably GA look mathematically sound, but technically even NC could still wind up in Biden’s column, so I wouldn’t call that either.

I predict it’s called today, as PA really is the linchpin without which McDonald has literally zero chance at 270.

And also…

1 Like

7 Likes

Seems like AP and NBC are just now calling the election, because of PA, even with GA, AZ, NV, NC etc. still being counted (and no wins there yet being projected).

I’m wondering what this will do to the new Trump/Republican strategy of talking about how only the “legal” ballots must be counted. The media hasn’t been clear enough that they’re not actually talking about legal ballots… it’s possible the ship has already sailed and that’s no longer a workable strategy for Trump.

2 Likes

They’ll treble down.

Yeah, and?

2 Likes

or, to put it another way: 75 million votes cast against fascism. I’m somewhat relieved, temporarily. Let’s take a day to celebrate, & then get back to organizing.

7 Likes

To me, it feels like a somewhat hollow victory though when, even after the last 4 years, there were still 70 million votes cast for him, making him the 2nd to pass that threshold after Biden.

But at least more people voting is better in general.

1 Like

I’ll gladly take a pyrrhic victory over the absolute horror of another 4 years of 45.

I’m sorry that it sucks to realize so many people don’t give a fuck about anything but their own ‘pet’ issues, but frankly that comes as no surprise to those of us who have been marginalized and disenfranchised since since the country was first founded.

We saw the iceberg and just narrowly avoided it in time, be grateful that the band isn’t continuing to play as we sink , and get ready for more hard work, because the election may be over but the fight for progress is never ending.

6 Likes

We defeated Trump but not Trumpism, sadly.

6 Likes

One battle at a time, my friend.

6 Likes

Word. I for one am ecstatic for the moratorium on James Cameron or whoever the fuck’s opportunity to offer the idle rich dive tours of America.

2 Likes

WaPo is pointing out that one of Trump’s legacies is the dubious honor of being the first President who never reached a 50% approval rating during his entire run in office.

7 Likes