Joe Biden's promise to do better, but with the vertical video fixed

I’ve never known what to make of Joe Biden. He always seemed like a decent guy who wanted to do good, and was Obama’s pick for VP. But at the same time his “playfully grabby” hands were on display for years, and sure seemed creepy even before these recent accounts.

What’s the most mind-boggling about all this is that conservatives are having a field day with Biden, when they bent over backwards to defend Trump’s Access Hollywood video. It’s just one more example of why I no longer believe they’re ever arguing in good faith-- they don’t care about the women here, they don’t care about what is or isn’t proper behavior for someone in power, they care about skewering Joe Biden, I’m sure even this video is more fuel for their angry fires.

11 Likes

This a thousand times. Joe’s grabby behavior is certainly a topic worthy of discussion, but not by people who wave away explicit, gleeful admissions of sexual assault when it’s their guy who does it.

12 Likes

When it comes to politics, “better” can mean more than one thing. :smiling_imp:

2 Likes

It was McCain unless you’ve been Mandela-ed.

1 Like

Right… and I don’t wish they were ALSO defending Biden… I just wish they would have thoroughly condemned Trump. I mean, there’s no point in holding out hope for fox news, but you know what I mean.

3 Likes

Well who wouldn’t want to get close to Umi? I mean… if she was real… which we all know she isn’t… :sweat_smile:

I actually believe her explanation that her jacket was referring to her personal critics rather than how she felt about immigrants. But it was still shallow and lacked introspection as to WHY people might have a valid reason to criticizing her personally - IE her support for her bully asshole husband or her privilege in general.

I don’t understand why Biden is now so problematic when Lt. Gov Fairfax of Virginia appears to have been allowed to completely drop off the radar.

(Edit) I also don’t understand why this is suddenly an issue when it’s been known about him for years, hell, decades. It’s the same thing that bothers me about Harvey Weinstein and Michael Jackson. Everybody knew, everybody looked the other way for decades until suddenly some magic tipping point is reached and then everyone suddenly starts speaking the truth. That’s small comfort to all of those who were victimized in those intervening years.

1 Like

Ah, yes, that’s the one. Its absence explicable by being unrelated to the present situation. Oh well.

I too am very open to this interpretation, because it’s very much how ultra-vapid narcissistic assholes tend to see things.

3 Likes

https://twitter.com/cocainecommie/status/1111870655455100928?s=21

7 Likes

Despite his friendly and likable demeanor, Biden has been a real jerk over the years and deserves at best to ride off into the sunset on Obama’s coattails, looking like a man of the people. It’s better to be remembered for gaffes and grab ass than his actual deeds.
His work includes: Promoting War on Drugs garbage like civil forfeiture, harsher sentencing and mandatory minimums for simple possession; voting to authorize the Iraq war; helping to eviscerate protections for student loan borrowers while protecting banks at every turn, including backing the repeal of Glass-Steagall; bipartisan welfare “reform” in the Clinton era; supporting the telecommunications act of 1996, allowing massive consolidation of media ownership (reducing the number of voices allowed to speak). His “bipartisan” legacy looks pretty Republican to me, favoring the rich and powerful at the expense of the rest of us.
If this is the D nominee, just shoot me. We can do so much better.

17 Likes
15 Likes

you have to admit it would be pretty sweet if Trump tried hovering behind Biden during a debate and Biden clocked him one.

1 Like

While we’re here…

&

&

https://twitter.com/ryanmasri_/status/1113458088022032384?s=21

&

10 Likes

All too often, it gets swept under the rug is why, because powerful men are more important in our society than they people they creep out or assault. It’s pretty straight forward.

12 Likes

While covering Biden’s will-they-or-won’t-they presidential thing Seth Meyers basically said, “Hey Joe, why would you want to do this to yourself? Have every dumb thing you’ve done in the past dragged out.”

If I were Biden, I would take that as a threat.

8 Likes

To be fair, the 90s crime bill(s) was passed near the height of the crime wave in the 90s. Everyone was calling for stricter enforcement, even many African American communities. The murder rate back then was literally about 2x higher than it is today. So we now have the benefit of 20 years of hindsight to see the damage those tough on crime bills ended up exacerbating the situation.

It wasn’t until recently where it is thought that the removal of lead from gasoline is what has lead to the steady reduction of violent crime. Freakonomics (the book) surmised that Roe v Wade is what lead to the reduction of crime, making abortion legal. (It may still have had some effect, but the environmental lead seems to be the smoking gun.)

But yes, there are lots of other examples of his Neo-Liberal politics which may make him unpopular in peoples’ eyes.

We reached a tipping point when an admitted pussy grabber and accused rapist was installed by the Electoral College as President.

You want to know why Biden’s getting heat? Anita Hill and ‘tough on crime,’ that’s why. Racist and sexist behavior from when he was still a Senator. It hasn’t been forgotten, and it won’t be.

4 Likes

Quite true. Joe Biden was a Senator for 36 years. Some of the things that you internalize after having been a Senator for 36 years:

• You are the most charming person in the room. Any room.
  • You are the most thoughtful person in the room. Any room.
  • No one takes any offense at anything that you say.