Joe Rogan episodes disappear from Spotify

He did not. I really like India Arie’s post on Instagram, because she made it clear that, while she’s glad people are speaking up against Rogan because of COVID, he’s been problematic from day one.

19 Likes

I never understood the appeal of Rogan…the few times I listened to him years ago, he just came across as a stoned dumb ass. I became aware of him being problematic when I started reading about his transphobia and didn’t know about the racist shit until I read about India Arie’s post, then came across that nazi dog clip in the comment section of an article about this.

15 Likes

Even in his latest apology video, he says some problematic things. He admits there’s no context in which it is ok for a white person to say the N-word…and then he proceeds to complain about that fact. I don’t understand why it’s so hard for some people to apologize without adding qualifiers. If your apology contains a “but” or anything like it, you’re negating the apology. Just say, “I did/said X. Doing/saying X was wrong. I am sorry. I won’t do it again.” End video. This isn’t rocket science.

14 Likes

I just watched that apology video and his attempted defense of the planet of the apes comment is just as racist as the comment itself.

10 Likes

Yeah that was the exact moment I noped out of watching the rest of the video.

8 Likes

The only way this maybe could be “taken out of context” is if he was, I dunno, directly quoting something someone else said. This video demonstrated this was clearly not the case.

He doesn’t get to just drop that word candidly like he was doing and then use the “taken out of context!” defense as if he was that guy in Lethal Weapon 2.

So sick of this “something something cancel culture” bullshit, more like “consequence culture, motherfuckers”.

14 Likes
14 Likes

seth meyers GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

ETA: When I tried to listen to him a few years ago, he seemed reckless and mean. I gave up after I’d listened to him talk for more than a few minutes. I wasn’t surprised when I heard how much trouble he was causing, given his reach and obvious out-of-his depth-ness. But I’m stunned he was able to. How was that possible?

10 Likes

I can tell you exactly why this dumbass has mass appeal: A lot of people are similarly stupid/racist/bullies/etc…, and when they hear this asshole speaking their inner monologue out loud it reinforces their beliefs and tells them that they’re ok for thinking it.

It’s a bit like the “ancient aliens” conspiracy bullshit. Joe average dumbass couldn’t figure out how to perfectly fit stonework or build some sort of monument (particularly without modern machinery), so those “primitive” brown people certainly couldn’t have done it. Therefore musta been aliens! When some asshole on the “History” channel says it, it reinforces their racist belief about people who are “other” who had mad skills.

18 Likes

I saw a tweet, and I’m sorry, my privacy focused browser blasted the history away so I can’t find it now, it may have been reported out of existence given tech bros… but it was basically:

“It’s a pretty solid rule that anything that is only liked by men is awful and sucks for humanity in general.”

7 Likes

I’m shocked— well, not that shocked.

From the article: "[T]here’s not another word like it in the entire English language, because it’s a word where only one group of people is allowed to use it, and they can use in so many different ways,” Rogan said. “Like if a white person says that word it’s racist and toxic, but a Black person can use it and it can be a punch line, it can be a term of endearment, it can be lyrics to a rap song, it can be a positive affirmation. It’s a very unusual word, but it’s not my word to use, I’m well aware of that now.”

FFS, how old was he when he finally made that huge revelation?

7 Likes

Whatever his age was when that video went viral a few days ago? It’s not like he really believes this, it’s what his PR agency has told him to say.

13 Likes

Honestly, I put my thumb on what bothers me most about him just the other day: he’s a walking demonstration of Brandolini’s Law.
People will say that “he’s just asking questions”, but the evidentiary requirements he places on those questions, let’s just say they vary widely. For instance: on the recent interview with Malone, there’s a lot of argument placed on the corruptibility of doctors, and insistence that they’re allowing this to happen because it benefits their bottom line. It’s a conspiracy involving almost every member of a massive profession. However, the person he’s interviewing is busy assessing the theoretical value of medical treatments that he sells. Why is it that the other doctors have a conflict of interest but Malone doesn’t?

Even the way a question is framed brings a lot of supposed information along with it. (I guess you could say his particular questions are real beggars)

21 Likes

The RationalWiki uses Rogan as one of the examples for its page on JAQing Off

Like, I’m just asking questions, man

13 Likes
13 Likes

Prognostication: I’m gonna venture a guess that Spotify has the unilateral right to terminate the contract and they’ll try to stick it out for a while. Meanwhile, little Joey’s gonna learn what exclusivity is all about.

I can tell you exactly why this dumbass has mass appeal: A lot of people are similarly stupid/racist/bullies/etc… , and when they hear this asshole speaking their inner monologue out loud it reinforces their beliefs and tells them that they’re ok for thinking it.

I agree that is a lot of his audience, but it’s also more complicated than that. I have a coworker who listens to him, and this coworker is the sweetest, most big-hearted guy you’ll ever meet. However, this coworker is also not a critical thinker and doesn’t understand how to evaluate quality of information. So when Rogan talks to some medical quack about vitamin megadoses and says “yah, that makes sense” a lot to whatever claim made by said quack, my coworker thinks, “this is interesting cutting edge stuff”, not, “this is bullshit”.

My coworker is billions of people in the world. Rogan is the gateway drug to the Dark Intellectual movement for people who have not been taught to think critically or evaluate quality of sources for information. In my opinion, this is the most existential crisis humanity has right now. Antivax and climate denial would not work if people simply saw through the transparent bullshit of it all, but they don’t and it may doom us all.

35 Likes

Meme Reaction GIF by Robert E Blackmon

And that is a feature of our current world, not a bug. The elites do not want a population that can think critically, because it’s not in their interests to have us that way.

You’re not wrong.

20 Likes

About a decade ago an American I used to work with here in Vancouver BC and I were having a conversation about something really stupid going on in the US. I made the comment, “Americans have lost the capability for critical thinking.”
His response was, “That’s absolutely true.” He then sighed, because he still has family in Los Angeles but he’s still here.

11 Likes