Joe Rogan episodes disappear from Spotify

This is why I make an extra effort with the teenagers in my life – especially the young men – to warn them off the likes of Rogan, Jordaddy, and kapo Ben Shapiro and the other gateways to fascism (really I should include cryptocurrency gurus in that category). Some of these kids are bright and intellectually curious but critical thinking and media and financial literacy skills were just not priorities in their secondary schools.

19 Likes

Joe Rogan before/after, apparently photo used for original thread no longer current:
imageimage

2 Likes

I hadn’t heard of JAQing off or sealioning:

8 Likes

Rogan was a huge promoter of the Proud Boys and Gavin McInnes who once told his Proud Boy followers to, "“We need more violence from the Trump supporters. Choke a bi ch. Choke a tranny. Get your fingers around the windpipe. Get a gun.”

24 Likes

God this is so true. And it’s so hard to communicate with some one once they start because the media itself kind of inoculates them to listening to whole “categories” of people and encourages them instead to see themselves as the ones who need to explain (maybe proselytize even a little).

16 Likes

I doubt it’s that way for all, or even most, of the fans of ancient alien stuff. After all, they apply the same goofy stuff to Stonehenge. Maybe dumb racial theories are a motivation for sombunall.

I personally love the ancient aliens stuff, but more out of a trash culture/guilty pleasure kind of thing. I positively delight in seeing just how far out they go in their wild speculation over…everything. Much the same for shows like “Finding Bigfoot”. Everything is a clue that points to…“bigfoot”.

As a kid, I loved the notion of “what if” that was posed in the show “In Search Of…” as well as kooky books I could find in the library. As an adult, it’s more of a RAW thing - trying out other people’s “reality tunnel” for about 40-some minutes…I wonder how many people that watch such shows do it for similar reasons.

As for the “mad skills” - man, I’d love to be able to do stonework like the Incans did…

3 Likes

I love to point people to that link when they are clearly JAQ’ing off.

1 Like

Canada, a civilized country, classifies them as a terrorist group…

22 Likes

It’s where Gavin is from too.

16 Likes

Canada has its share of fascists and white supremacists and hatemongers (including McInnes and Jordaddy) but they are quicker to call them what they are. Following the story about the Flu Trux Klan, I noticed that an Ottawa city councilor has now called them terrorists because, hey, with the harassment and hateful speech and blaring horns and bullying that’s.what.they.are.

Canada’s Conservative party also seems to have a lot harder time playing the “fine people on both sides” argument than the GOP does as they attempt to keep themselves relevant by pandering to the Know-Nothings. I think their interim leader tried that the other day and it fell completely flat.

15 Likes

I’ve honestly never listened to Rogan, so I don’t know if he’s trying to red pill people or not, but I think this article was a really good one that I like to share with people I know whenever they seem to be repeating stuff that is at least adjacent to such things…

In the ideal world, kids would be armed in media literacy and, most importantly, critical thinking, over everything else during K-12. Of course, doing both of those justice would make the hysteria over “CRT” look like a cakewalk…

6 Likes

Better than US. Not perfect.

Edit- If I have to exit the US in 24; they would be my first choice to move to. But it’s unlikely they would accept someone my age.

8 Likes

I’m wondering if Jon Stewart now thought he spoke too soon?

Both terms are in the bbs glossary and commonly used here

6 Likes

Ok, I read the piece on Medium.

And now, I want to wash myself off in a shower the size of a carwash. With extra soap.

7 Likes

The lack of instruction regarding critical thinking, media literacy, etc. has been going on for a long time. I am in my late 30’s and had a fairly decent high school education…some teachers did touch on those subjects. However, as far as I remember, it wasn’t until college that I had a class that actually taught a critical analysis of media.

4 Likes

I haven’t paid much attention to Stewart since he stepped down from the Daily Show, but from the few things I have seen about him, he seems to be suffering from a little old man brain rot.

5 Likes

Since this is the newest Joe Rogan related thread I will use the opportunity to note that the 8-4 podcast (a podcast about Japan, Games, and Japanese games) has pulled their stuff off of Spotify. Hopefully others will follow suit

9 Likes

I remember reading an article about how critical media analysis is taught in Finnish schools a lot. Finland has lived on the business end of Russian propaganda since before WWII, and it’s very much in the interest of the “big end” of town (banks etc) to have a populace that can detect bullshit.

6 Likes

Perfect. Thank you.

9 Likes