John Carter of Mars' Secret Weapon: MDRNST Boxer Briefs

Originally published at: John Carter of Mars' Secret Weapon: MDRNST Boxer Briefs | Boing Boing

1 Like

I’m seriously confused if this is actually an ad…

12 Likes

It’s got an affiliate link, so I’m going to go with “ad”

4 Likes

It’s BoingBoing’s new ad format, combining ads with short-form fiction, as opposed to the BB Shop posts that were the short-form fiction. I’m not sure who writes them but I sense the presence of @frauenfelder.

q.v. Experience the magic of the ultimate smell-proof stash bag — now in stock | Boing Boing

An improvement IMO.

7 Likes

I love that comments are allowed. It was a sad day when the BB shop posts got comments turned off.

11 Likes

We must tread carefully.

10 Likes

was figuring it was: “chatbot-gpt oh chatbot-gpt write me a short story involving <this product line> as a sequel to <this popular piece of fiction>” …but your theory likely makes more sense (and dollars)

5 Likes

John Carter, “Reader, in brief, I defeated him.”

Indeed, ragging on the BBStore was such a pleasure.

4 Likes

3 Likes

For me, at least, it was mainly because the BBStore mostly flogs crap products. The products on these ads haven’t been bad, although the writing is not great (is it AI?)

3 Likes

I agree. I’ve always appreciated creative and funny ads, even if I’ve got no need for the product being advertised. Something like this takes considerably more effort to craft, but IMHO it’s more attuned to the BBS audience, who historically… haven’t exactly responded well to typical low-effort shilling.

The “we’ve gotta have ads, so we might as well have fun with them” attitude seems like a very Happy Mutant vibe. :+1:

7 Likes

“did an A.I. write this” is the new “it’s a shoop” :thinking:

2 Likes

Not buying.

Fortunate that there’s chemistry between an Earth human and an egg-laying Red Martian.

1 Like

“However, I’m still waiting for a fucking t-shirt that fits all my arms. C’mon, figure it out, it’s not that hard”

2 Likes

I can tell by the paragraphs, and from seeing quite a few AI writings in my time

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.