John Hinckley, who attempted to assassinate Ronald Reagan, will go free

Wait… Does that mean he can’t be arrested, or does it mean he can be arrested for no reason? Or just that he’s not permitted to commit arrestable offenses?

The latter. Being arrested, if it’s not spurious, will breach the conditions of his release.

5 Likes

So the attempt was my anti-“Kennedy assassination”, of sorts.

I know exactly where I was - in my junior high American Government class when the teacher next door wheeled in the A/V TV they were watching some VHS tape on. ABC was doing live coverage at the scene while they were still trying to sort things out (if I remember correctly).

I thought it was hella interesting although I knew I didn’t really like the dude (Reagan), but was still trying to sort out why.
I couldn’t really say, either. I was a nerdy kid in Kansas, and if I vocalized my dislike, I’d have been pummeled by the bigger kids for yet another stupid reason besides Devo or Oingo Boingo.

Edit: Okay, Oingo Boingo wasn’t on the scene yet, but Wall of Voodoo serves just as well.

2 Likes

I’m going to have some mix of “Weird Science” and “Mexican Radio” stuck in my head for a few days now, thanks. Hmm … actually, that’s not half bad …

4 Likes

His mother lives on a private golf course. I don’t think he needs to worry about job-hunting.

maybe he could caddy if he gets restive

The Mystic Knights of the Oingo Boingo predated both Devo and Wall of Voodoo. Understandable if you hadn’t heard of them in Kansas though.

3 Likes

At the very least it is unlikely that Hinckley will be able to shoot Reagan now.

1 Like

Aha! Oingo Boingo was released on I.R.S. records in '79, Only a Lad (which I owned) in late '81.

Thanks for that. I should have trusted my gut.

They’d been a sort of performance art theater troupe since '72, before pivoting to pop music.

For lack of a better description.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.