John Lennon was a philatelist

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/09/27/john-lennon-was-a-philatelist.html

5 Likes

That word turned out to mean something different than I thought it meant.

5 Likes

Did he engage in philately with Paul McCartney?

6 Likes

something something sticky on the back.

6 Likes
3 Likes

When I was a boy, there were shifty characters passing out these “lick 'em” stamps at local elementary schools:

4 Likes

no penny black?

I had a penny black (in extremely poor condition-- I mean, there was a tear in it), and a tuppence blue. I think I gave them to my brother.

2 Likes

I thumbed through that album. In page 138, where the US of A is found, there is also listed the Confederate States, stamps issued from 1861 to 1863. I don’t believe he had any such confederate stamps, but it’s interesting to see that in this Mercury album.

1 Like

A philandering philatelist at that.

Philately will get you nowhere.

1 Like

I don’t imagine he stuck with it. It’s a boy’s stamp collection.

A chill went done my back. Just last night, for the first time in ~30 years, I pulled out my stamp collection. Needed to see my Mercury capsule 4-stamp blocks.

Okay, so it was a cheap chill.

Lucky you. We had to pay for them at our school.

1 Like

For some reason, philatelists don’t like it when you show up at one of their conventions with a leaf blower.

2 Likes

Yeah, I’ve got some stamps.

Scott 11, 24, and 290, among others.

Haven’t collected in decades.

Now THOSE give sme chills!

1 Like

Some of those are uncanceled too! That means you can still use them! (That’s how this works, right?)

1 Like

Right?

Did you ever live through the “Mickey Mouse Acid” moral panic? That one was odd, because who gives perfectly good acid away for free? To school kids who are not presently at a Butthole Surfers gig?

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.