John McCain is the "perfect American lie" says Drew Magary

There is a 2008 video where he is doing a town hall meeting with supporters and he directly contradicts them when they start in on the Obama is a muslim bullshit. It may be that he miscalculated thinking that if he jumped on the birtherism stuff, he’d lose because the general public would think he was a moral monster, but watching it I think at least he didn’t say “I don’t know if that’s true or not” which is what I think a lot of republicans would have done in that situation.

But yeah, he’s pretty disappointing.

5 Likes

Well, if he thinks that too, he should think again.

Obligs:

1 Like

Nah. Let’s not.

From

which was linked in the GQ article:

Ever since his longtime aide and ghostwriter Mark Salter wholly invented McCain’s “maverick” persona from whole cloth in the late 1990s, …

7 Likes

He has always branded himself as a Maverick that goes against the grain. He never has but that’s the story he pushes.

“McCain at times has had a media reputation as a “maverick” for his willingness to disagree with his party on certain issues.”

He will talk up about not agreeing with controversial things and talk sense and then goes back on it when it’s time to vote.

8 Likes

6 Likes

Sounds like you’re saying is that your problem is that he votes his conscience rather that your conscience. He is a conservative Republican and never claimed to be anything else.

Not to defend that person but McCain constantly tries to claim the title of “maverick,” despite always towing his party line; it was plastered all over his 2008 prez campaign.

Then there’s that speech he gave right before voting to open up the health care bill debate.

"Sigh no more, ladies, sigh no more. Men were deceivers ever One foot in sea and one on shore, To one thing constant, never. "

5 Likes

You could probably say this about 90% or more of the laws enacted by many governments worldwide. Once they institutionalize something - it’s very hard to take it away whether or not it was a bad/good policy to begin with. Government agencies tend to stick around long after their intended usefulness. Not that Universal Medical Care would go away as it would continue to be useful - just that the argument you present is a wee bit of a logical fallacy. Though I do get wholly get your point. I’m just being the argumentative asshole that I was born to be.

And his 2008 campaign. He has spent more time trying to claim that title than James Garner.

1 Like

My bad… I was typing too fast; I meant 2008, not 2000.

1 Like

And damn good at it too.

1 Like

Aside from serving in the military and surviving having been a POW, what exactly makes him a hero?

Too often the term “hero” is handed out like trophies at my kids 2nd grade soccer team. Just 'cause he participated don’t make him a hero.

4 Likes

Everyone should realize that John McCain is the perfect American lie, a man who professes to be noble and fair and just while being none of those things. He served his country honorably in combat, but in no other fashion. And he serves out his time in the Senate, and here on planet Earth, as a pathetic enabler. Never the lion; always the sheep.

OK, but what can he do? He has an electorate with the IQ of a rutabega. Sure, he can be the lion. Once. Then he gets primaried and spends his declining years as a former lion.

I never blame Louis Gohmert for being a bald, baldly stupid idiot. I don’t blame James Imhofe for bringing a snowball into Congress to disprove global warming. I dont blame Ted Cruz for reading Green Eggs & Ham to force a budget default. And I dont even blame Trump for [INSERT 100-200 past and future bad acts, including possibly nuclear war with Iran or North Korea HERE].

I blame the millions of people who surveyed these politicians and said “Yeah! That one! I want that one to represent me!”

The people of the United States currently live in a country where the franchise of the idiots (just barely) outnumber that of the non-idiots.

EDIT: Given his recent votes nixing the GOP’s wealthcare bills, I guess McCain can do something after all.

5 Likes

So he values his position in power more than his principles. I think that’s something I’m willing to hold him to account for.

6 Likes

Reading this thread proves the article. Many people unaware of his record and rhetoric. The American Lie is successful.

1 Like

One would have hoped that all of his recent medical problems would have granted him some perspective: “gosh! I’d be a long dead and cold corpse if it weren’t for my health insurance and healthcare! We need to ensure that all americans have access to this!”.
Or perhaps more cynically, that his metastatic brain cancer and impending corpse-ness would have granted him the freedom from concern about the long term future, allowing him to truly say “F-you TeaGOP! We need to ensure that all americans have access to health care!”. But sadly no.

What a douche-nozzle. I will shed no tears when the rogue cells in his noggin claim him.

1 Like

Well, I figure no matter what one’s beliefs are - if somebody survives a traumatic ejection from a fighter plane, 2 1/2 years of routine torture, and miserable medical care for almost 5 years in Vietnamese prisons - he probably figures his latest physical challenges have been pretty much a cakewalk.
Not that it makes his political motives any more valid, mind you.

1 Like

Well, then I’d have hoped that he would have developed some perspective a bit earlier then. Apparently not. Don’t know which makes his suckage worse.

Can you blame someone for not developing as an empathetic human when they’ve been presented with the chances to?

2 Likes