John Waters introduces DEVO at Burger Boogaloo: "Trump is a feckless prick"

Okay, so this speech contains my 2nd favourite John Waters quote.
Here’s my favourite.

34 Likes

Might need updating though for readers in tight quarters.

“My what big e-book library you have!”

11 Likes

OK, first chance is paper books, second chance is e-books.
There is no third chance.

11 Likes

I don’t know if it’s depressing or amazing or some combination of the two that a band from the 70s and a leftfield movie maker that made a name for himself in the 70s sound more relevant than any modern musicians actors politicians I can think of in regards to the current political climate.

I feel like the millennial’s have become mostly complacent, the boomer folks don’t seem to give a shit, I’m 44 and I feel like I’m in the center of hell sometimes . (Obvious exaggeration since I’m not clawing for my family and life at a border but still…)

Thankyou DEVO and JW :+1::zap:️:+1:

7 Likes

Being a bit deaf, I thought Waters said, “Their mothers would unplug them to prevent…” which would have worked too, in a nice DEVOish way.

2 Likes

I dunno. Seems a little too soon to replace Wm. S. Burroughs. Then again, maybe Bill was God. I’m bad at theology.

Also, my best guess is that Melania really did want to make a statement but was totally clueless about her position as FLOTUS and had no idea about how the optics of the whole situation would pan out. I’d really like to think that she is not either stupid or evil, just a bit clueless.

1 Like

As a gay man, I can definitely tell you that you probably don’t know the mixed signal you’re sending here…

10 Likes

I had the pleasure of seeing these guys perform at Burlington Ontario’s Sound of Music Festival seven or eight years ago. They put on a great show.

3 Likes

Roger that.

5 Likes

Oh, but don’t I, darling?

12 Likes

Oh c’mon, let the weed and booze talk. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I’m happily surprised to find that Mr Waters still walks among us.

1 Like

I’m not as big on generational categorization as a lot of people seem to be, or painting the people born in the same decade with the same broad brush, but the people you mention ARE Boomers. Being born in 1946 John Waters is among those who kicked off the Baby Boomer generation, and being born in the late '40s and early '50s the original members of DEVO are solidly in that cohort as well.

The people at HiLoBrow.com use a different timeline (or “periodization”) than most, which makes more sense to me.

http://hilobrow.com/2010/03/02/cuspers/

4 Likes

Families have generations. Societal generations are a marketing scam.

8 Likes

That still is from his 1980s-era “No Smoking” trailer from the Nuart Theatre in LA. Brings back memories.

8 Likes

I’m no smoker, but I’ve been around enough of them to know that was such a cruel thing he did…

2 Likes

But “cultural cohort” is so clunky.

3 Likes

Why isn’t DEVO in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame?

Because the rock and roll hall of fame isn’t a museum created to reward actual creativity and genius (although it slips past), it’s about an industry patting itself on the back about how great it is?

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.