Jony Ive leaves Apple, but will keep it as a client

I have been an Apple user for longer than Jony has been there, but even I think they could use a fresh perspective.

Well, the new Mac Pro is designed for VR development, 3D animation, and movie-quality video editing. If that’s “soulless” to you, well, ymmv I suppose.

4 Likes

(felt a popcorn gif was a little on the nose, plus we gotta conserve that shit these days)

3 Likes

“With the CGI, suddenly there’s a thousand enemies instead of six – the army goes off into the horizon. You don’t need that.”

Ford, best known for action films like Raiders of the Lost Ark and The Fugitive, added: “The audience loses its relationship with the threat on the screen. That’s something that’s consistently happening and it makes these movies like video games and that’s a soulless enterprise. It’s all kinetics without emotion. I don’t have time for that.”

2 Likes

5 Likes

The local apple users group is known as Washington Apple Pi. It is affiliated somehow with Frederick (MD) Apple Corps. I used to read a apple II centric magazine known as inCider…

stupid puns have been a part of Apple’s world since (apple II) forever.

4 Likes

Yeah, darn those soulless Pixar films, devoid of emotion!

2 Likes

What, no SSC? Not even BSC?

1 Like

We’re both happily married people, with adorbs babies… BUT…

Indiana-Jones-I-love-you

6 Likes

IVE HAD ENOUGH! iQuit. Jobs done. Jony cashes out at Apple to run his own design biz

1 Like
9 Likes
3 Likes

Titanium Macbook G4
Pro Mouse in black

Works like a dream.

This is probably a good thing. Good product design is the basis of Apple’s business, but that requires everyone to understand and value design – engineers, developers, managers, everyone – and appointing a celebrity King of Design is kind of antithetical to that. I get why they elevated him, to reassure everyone that someone who Gets It would still be at the top of the org chart after Steve Jobs died. But there have been signs that he’s out of his depth; putting him in charge of software UI design hasn’t worked well, and then there was that catastrophic Apple Pencil I charging design which was a very worrying omen.

Styling is not design, but as far as styling goes, I would be happy to see the back of Ive’s joyless Bauhaus-only-more-serious esthetics. They should find a way to tap that Teenage Engineering outfit from Sweden.

1 Like

I don’t think Jony did bad on the hardware side that that much but I seriously do not like how iOS went. It took quite a few iterations to get it to a point where it was usable again. Also, I friggin hate gradients. They look bad even on t-shirts.

…not forgetting the latest camera/watch pattern
I’m thinking war of the worlds humour

and then there’s the apple television

Can’t a fella be literal?

“He’s totally leaving.”
ishe

3 Likes

[inside Tim Cook’s hyperbolic sleep chamber] knock knock
Cook: Yes, John?
John Ive: Sir John.
Cook: …what is it?
Ive: I’ve… I’ve decided to leave Apple. [deep exhale]
Cook: I see.
[long awkward pause of both men staring past each other]
Ive: …I mean, I’m leaving to start…
Cook: …you own design company.
Ive: Right! I mean, yes. How did you…?
Cook: Alright, John.
Ive: Sir John.
Cook: …I suppose we can hire you as our design firm?
Ive: Oh yeah, of course, I mean you would be our main…
Cook: …at the same amount we paid you to work for us I trust?
Ive: Well… I mean… I suppose that would…
Cook: Fine. Good luck with that, John.
Ive: Sir John.
[Cook’s chamber is slowly filled with a thick fog and he disappears from view]
Ive: OK then… thanks?
[Sir John slowly back away, out of the room]

2 Likes

wait. so, you’re saying you can open your computer, change the parts that are inside, and it still runs!?

this kind of innovation is why apple is truly in a class of it’s own.

( the snark is not directed at you, i swear. i myself own an airmac or whatever. i like to tell myself i got it as an alternative to the microsoft hegemony of my desktop life. in the dark of night, i sometimes wonder if it was the shiny metal which caught my eye. mind you its insides have been replaced multiple times at no cost to myself, because form - it seems - did win out over function. )

Compared to the PC towers my friends use, it’s definitely more user friendly. Open the side and slide in your hard drives into nice little grooved slots – in ten seconds, new hard drive. Pop in your RAM. Everything’s easily accessible and nicely laid out. Simple, easy, extendable. Form and function.