Jordan Peterson consoles comedian who mocked beaten women, stole jokes, and is beefing online with a plastic surgeon

Uh Huh Reaction GIF by Originals

6 Likes

Has anyone ever seen them at the same time? …I don’t think they’re the same person, I’d just like to offer my condolences.

3 Likes

:thinking:

2 Likes

Hey, it is unfair to pick on him because he looks weird and screwed up and isn’t funny; he’s a respected Canadian psychologist, author, and media commentator. :face_with_hand_over_mouth::face_with_hand_over_mouth::face_with_hand_over_mouth:

@Towlemonkey Also, they can get away with more if they punch up, rather than kick down. :+1::+1::+1:

@Scurra White wine or fruit based drinks for the ladies; crushed nuts for the bigots. :+1:

@jyoti We need a screaming-in-rage emoji, stat!

5 Likes

Hey, got a fox avatar, looking sharp!

2 Likes

Not an emoji, but…

9 Likes

So you claim

2 Likes

I watched some of the special on Netflix, then turned it off right after the crystals rant. I wasn’t even offended, just bored. I don’t know if he steals his jokes or not, but man, they seemed awfully like stuff I’d heard a million times before, mostly back in college from the guy in the dorms with the Backpfeifengesicht who thinks he’s clever and edgy.

4 Likes

I remember seeing a lot of comedians talk about his success and how he’d built up a big audience with women with his You Tube crowd-work shorts, before all this.
And with Rife saying his special was specifically targeted to “guys” I think it’s not just because rage bait is big business.

I think he’s insecure about his masculinity, and didn’t like being labelled a “women’s comedian”. So he overcompensated and leaned hard into douchebag frat-boy humour because he thinks that’s what guys like. Basically taking a big hit to his career because of his own toxic ideas about masculinity.

2 Likes

Nothing less manly than being popular with women. :roll_eyes:

9 Likes

Hanging out with women is so gay.

Apparently.

5 Likes

Drag Queen Applause GIF by Paramount+

3 Likes

Thank you! It’s from @LurksNoMore celebrating my cake day :blush:

5 Likes

Just to be clear, that’s not what I think - it’s just my read on Rife, that he thinks having women making up the majority of his fanbase is less prestigious because of all the bollocks about how “women aren’t as funny as men/don’t get comedy like men do.” Or something like that.

1 Like

Ah yes, the right wing school of comedy where you make some stale and offensive observation and then say “ooh I bet I’ll get cancelled for that one!” He has a promising future in podcasts ahead of him, I’m sure.

(the problem isn’t offensive jokes. A good joke can grate quite a bit. Using “jokes” where the whole joke is that it’s offensive is just “being an asshole”. )

6 Likes

This is also an example of the Peter Principle, like when a good engineer is promoted to manager but sucks at it because being a good engineer has nothing to do with managing people.

In the same sense his crowd work shorts going viral doesn’t guarantee that he is capable of pulling off a full length comedy special.

But it is interesting he ended up on Jorpy’s podcast as a coping mechanism for realizing his own mediocracy. Jorpy is still a (soon not to be? currently suspended?) licensed clinical psychologist.

4 Likes

…or don’t watch. Not going to loop myself in this doom loop. It’s like someone mashed together the parts they liked about other comedians and then amped it up. This ain’t the “Aristocrats”, just pure schoolyard bully talk.

2 Likes

This is only indirectly related (along the lines of “isn’t domestic abuse funny?”), but I recently went to a high school production of “Little Shop of Horrors” because a friend’s kid was in it, and besides the giant person-eating plant puppet, the stuff that got the most audience laughs were Audrey’s jokes about getting beat up by her boyfriend. It was…uncomfortable. I know that the original was written that way, but it icked me out that parents were laughing at high school kids making jokes about it. I feel like you could have cut those lines–especially for a teenager production–and the “bad boyfriend” vibe would still have come through, just minus the laughing at 16-year-olds cracking wise about getting punched/handcuffed/etc.

Thank you for indulging me on that. I didn’t know where else to vent that.

8 Likes

I concur; that very much seems to be the case here, from all external appearances.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.