Joy Division Doc Martens

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/07/19/joy-division-doc-martens.html

4 Likes

That’s actually pretty dope

9 Likes

shut-up-and-take-my-money-o

I WOULD love a new pair of docs and those are fucking gorgeous… I wonder if the local shoe shop that sells docs can order them or if I need to get them from the website. I hate ordering shoes as I like to try them on.

[ETA] The website is already sold out of them.

fluttershycry

10 Likes

I’ll pay $159.99 and not a penny more.

3 Likes

What about tax?

5 Likes

Martens Dog.
59%20AM

5 Likes

I’d be careful. When they mostly stopped making them in England they cut ties with the original factory and suppliers.

None of the current boots are made on the old tooling or on the same forms. Or from the same quality of materials. Even the made in England ones.

I picked up a new pair a few years ago. They’re completely different boots in nearly every way. Different shape. Different leather. Different amount of padding. Different sole materials. Some of them don’t even have the yellow stitching.

I got them cheap. But if I’d spent full retail i’d be pretty pissed. Apparently the original manufacturer sells boots made off the original forms to the original quality under the brand name “solovair” but they’re hard to track down and even more expensive.

Eta: to clarify you definitely want to try them on. They vary significantly based one where and when they were manufactured. In size, shape, color, material, comfort. If a certain size and model of docs fit fine in the past they may not now. I’ve tried on the same boots I have now out of curiosity and found them completely different. Even those made in the same country. A pair may be fine, the one right next to it might not. From what I’m told even paying extra for the made in Englands doesn’t stop that. The problem isn’t that they bad or low quality boots. It’s more one of fit compared to the older boots. And inconsistency with the new ones. So you can’t even go with “go up half a size theyre narrower than the old ones” or other sensible advice.

4 Likes

Don’t forget to accessorise properly.

3 Likes

Okay. Thanks.

4 Likes

Considering that they’re Doc Marten’s, $160 is fucking cheap!

1 Like

There a bit more expensive then the usual docs, actually, or rather they are within the spread of prices… my mary janes were just north of $100, but some of the boots are upwards of $200. It seems like (looking at the website at least) $160 is pretty average.

3 Likes

3 Likes

Well, I can’t speak to the pre-outsourcing Docs, but I bought my first pair of Docs (slip-on) a mere six years ago and I love them. I mostly prefer boots and hi-tops to low-rise shoes and they’ve been my go-to travel shoes since the day they arrived in the mail.

One thing’s for sure, I do now understand why Docs have a loyal customer base.

Asia doesn’t automatically mean inferior.

3 Likes
2 Likes

I’ve never owned a pair because of the price… and I grew out of rocking what we called ‘combat boot chic’ back when I was in undergrad.

I would kill for a pair of Fluevogs, though; and they are equally as pricey, if not more so…

3 Likes

Oh yes, Fluevogs are quite nice, unfortunately all the really cute ones are heels and I can’t do heels. I’ve even gotten worse with shorter heels I used to be able to wear.

I’ve still got 4 pairs of docs though. One ancient second hand ox blood pair, some silver ones that need a zipper replaced, some Mary Janes, and my go to basic black ones which I wear with bat wings on the laces.

3 Likes

touché

Big fan of both, but this combination? Meh.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.