Judge admonishes teenage girl for pressing rape charges against a "young man who comes from a good family"

I’m disgusted for so many reasons.

As a parent I have some serious teaching and guarding ahead of me.

As a citizen, it is time to clean and clear the jurists.

7 Likes

You can file a motion for the judge’s recusal but if you lose you made an even bigger enemy out of the judge.

6 Likes

Having some rape already accomplished before you get admitted is like transfer credit for whatever frat you join, right?

7 Likes

I was in the top tenth and all I got for it was this shitty rape.

8 Likes

I know that all the rape jokes on here are oh so ironic; but I’m still kind of uncomfortable with them.

32 Likes

What I find forever baffling is how people who behave as though actions are to be judged according to the ‘goodness’ of their perpetrator, rather than the peroetrator’s goodness by their actions; manage to think in such a way.

I can understand it as a very limited purpose heuristic(if the situation is uncertain and there are multiple plausible explanations of varying levels of innocence it’s not implausible to let someone’s prior behavior guide your hypothesis about what happened in one direction or another); but as something where you actually blow past denial is just incomprehensible.

It would even be somewhat comprehensible, if obviously wrong, if it were denial based: the theory that he must be innocent because nice young men from good families don’t go around raping people is…unsullied by empiricism…but if you believed that it would make sense that you would take a “just look at him, must be innocent” stance.

However, that’s not what is happening here: the judge isn’t denying the basis for pressing charges; but arguing that pressing charges on the basis he doesn’t deny would be wrong because just look at him. That’s just plain incomprehensible(doubly so if he is OK with charging less desirable characters with their rapes; a general theory that rape just isn’t a big deal would at least be an immorally consistent theory of Justice).

WTF.

11 Likes

so he’s continuing to violate her? he’s already a repeat offender and the kind of person who really shouldn’t be enabled to continue this pattern and should be held accountable.

no remorse or apology or accountability. smdh.

fuck that, can’t he just finish his education in prison where he belongs?

17 Likes

Same here. Dark humor is one of the only ways to get through the day with stuff like this, and yet…

12 Likes

You’re right. Doesn’t really help anything.

6 Likes

Thank you. At the very least, a healthy dose of sarcasm tag would be welcome. Irony doesn’t always transmit well via text.

7 Likes

My joke isn’t a joke, it’s just me having a morbid laugh at my actual life. I’m sure it makes people uncomfortable, but I also think we need to get a lot more comfortable accepting this is the norm as it stands and it isn’t going to improve without a lot of effort.

19 Likes

I saw yours differently than others. You’re not talking about committing rape.

Survivors survive how they can.

20 Likes

From his writing, he probably wouldn’t have any problem with a young, poor, uneducated white kid from a working class family being tried as an adult for a violent crime like this. New Jersey has a lot of guys like that, and they get no special treatment in the courts. This sounds like class discrimination, not racial discrimination. There’s plenty of real racism in the “justice” system, no need to invent any more.

3 Likes

Depends – is he now a Supreme Court justice, Senator, or President?

8 Likes

But… but… he might go to college someday!

3 Likes

He seems more State Pen. than Penn State material.
Let’s hope he gets admitted.

14 Likes

It’s very Jerry Sandusky, so maybe a bit of both?

1 Like

You never know…

4 Likes

White and male and economically priviliged.

Fascism isn’t just about race. It’s also about class and gender.

19 Likes

Ditto to @MalevolentPixy’s comment.

Internet hugs if you want them.

5 Likes