Judge dismisses NRA's "bad faith" bankrupcy, says Wayne LaPierre "surreptitious" and "nothing less than shocking"

The legal term under British law is “escheat”. After the eruption of Vesuvius, the emperor (Titus) used a similar mechanism to resettle Pompeii’s refugees.

8 Likes

Ew, the NRA. To be handled with protection and very long manipulators.
Now I am not linking to one of their pages, but let me repost something interesting as shown by this site some time ago:

as a pamphlet it offers a not-very welcome view in the heads of the cultists, and the illustrations are excellent, particularly the one on the last page. Impressive work, sadly - unless it’s a spoof, in which case congratulations.

1 Like

Why didn’t you post one?

1 Like

From the article:

Texas attorney Gerrit Pronske, who is representing James’ office in court, argued during closing arguments on May 3 that the bankruptcy filing should be dismissed for being filed in “bad faith,” pointing to a public letter to NRA members on the day the organization filed for bankruptcy in which LaPierre wrote: "The NRA is not ‘bankrupt’ or ‘going out of business.’ "

This reminds me a verse from Star Trekkin’ (crazy music video on YouTube):

Starship Captain, James T. Kirk:
Ah! We come in peace, shoot to kill, shoot to kill, shoot to kill;
we come in peace, shoot to kill, shoot to kill, men.

4 Likes

And there’s also probably no way they actually have anywhere close to 5 mm members. Like the legacy donations in wills, they also seem to be retaining members under the guise of “lifetime” memberships and counting them even after death. There is so much fraud here I wouldn’t be surprised if discovery kicks off prosecutions in numerous jurisdictions and Fed & State departments.

4 Likes

Bill Donohue of the Catholic League ran the same pathetic scam. He’d claim to be “the voice of millions of American Catholics” while waving around a stale and largely defunct mass mail list with more dead people on it every year. More pathetic, though, was the corporate media’s willingness to give him a platform to spread his bigotry and sexism any time they needed to book a guest.

5 Likes

Depends what you mean by “won’t get away with it.” If you mean that the NRA may actually suffer financial consequences of their mismanagement, then I think you are right. But as to LaPierre personally? I think he will totally get away with his malfeasance and not have to pay a penny of his ill gotten gains back, nor be personally criminally prosecuted.

3 Likes

For Nero it was the the other way round. Instead of getting inherintances from people without heirs he sent out men to give people an offer to put him in their will if they wanted to have any relatives left.

3 Likes

Yeah, I suppose I’m thinking more of the institution’s future and LaPierre (et al)'s attempts to extend out the grift, rather than criminal liability for the previous grifts. But I remain hopeful that they might see some sort of liability, too, even if I’m not holding my breath for that one.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.