Judge: Florida can't force cruise line to take unvaccinated passengers

Originally published at: Judge: Florida can't force cruise line to take unvaccinated passengers | Boing Boing

11 Likes

Ah, yes, the party of small government letting the market decide winners and losers in the cruise industry…

37 Likes

They can board the boat in Florida with no vaccine passport but once they cross the 12 mile international border they may need to walk the plank and start swimming /s

10 Likes

18 Likes

I have always viewed cruise ships as floating Petri dishes, even during pre-pandemic times. Just doesn’t appeal to me.

13 Likes

I was curious what the actual legal argument was and I read the article and found this: I think it’s a shit law, and I could sort of wrap my brain around a constitutional argument against it, but I wasn’t really sure there was one to be made.

Norwegian said the law violates the company’s First Amendment right to interact with customers

The fuck?

I don’t know. Maybe the judge just decided to call bullshit on it. But is this going to end up at the supreme court? (and if so, the US one or the Florida one?)

5 Likes

Remember when the cruise ships were chock full of covid and they wouldnt let passengers off?

11 Likes

Yep, that happened and was also from Gov DeSantis. He has said he will fight to the Supreme Court over his edict. Seems like if he can force a private company to accept any and all passengers, maybe the cruise line can have a strongly held religious conviction to ban unvaccinated passengers (see also, gay wedding cakes).

16 Likes

Wasn’t a pretty strong precedent set in the landmark Supreme Court case “Florida Man vs. No-Shirt-No-Shoes-No-Service Sign?”

11 Likes

Yeah, I am very happy that I didn’t get so much as the sniffles for over a year. No way I’m getting on a floating Walmart.

8 Likes

Remember when “living in the upside down” was a thing? That was nothing.

1 Like

Cruise lines are weak sauce when it comes to playing the hero. Based on news stories I’ve read over the years they are US capitalists that flag their vessels in small island nation ports to evade paying US taxes and following US safety regulations. They have a long history of gross mistreatment of their entirely foreign crew members, dumping raw sewage, fuel oil, and other waste into the seas, and dodging liability for serious crimes that involve their passengers.

8 Likes

Norovirus provides some protection against Covid-- you’re too sick to interact with other passengers.

11 Likes

Modern pirates whose booty is middle class senior citizens.

5 Likes

Given recent studies, it can not only fix stupid but create it.

This isn’t the link I wanted. There was a recent study which found an average 7 point reduction in IQ or cognitive function (I forget which, wish I could find that article again) in those who have had Covid.

4 Likes

Florida can’t ban the ‘vaccine passport’ program set up by a cruise line

When you hear “ban” it gets confusing, because what deSantis wants is a “ban ban” (banning Norwegian from banning non-vaccine compliant passengers).

And, of course, with this ruling the judge has now issued a “ban ban ban”.
See, not confusing at all!

10 Likes

A floating stadium concert? A floating Lollapalooza?

7 Likes

Now I’m simultaneously trying to think up meanings for higher-order repetitions while hearing the Two and a Half Men theme song in my head.

With all these bans, are wedding bells far behind?

3 Likes

As far as I know, however, the ships still plan on letting children on the cruises so, still unvaccinated passengers