Judge orders Kansas Secretary of State Kris Kobach to go back to law school

Mooning the judge?

2 Likes

I think the judge figured that the humiliation of sending him to take remedial education would make a stronger impression than just fining him or jailing him for contempt.

6 Likes

Well, I did read that he’s been made to pay the ACLU’s legal costs, too.

4 Likes

Appropriately enough, Nurgle has answered.

2 Likes

As it says on page one of “Teach Yourself English”, “If a word offend thee; make one up.”

5 Likes

Its not so much contempt of court as it is blithering incompetence. There is a difference between intentionally pissing off a judge and doing it by being genuinely stupid.

Anyone trying to play “gotcha games” with discovery in Federal Court deserves to be spanked as hard as possible by judges.

8 Likes

I guess the contempt of court ruling was for what he did before the court case, when he ignored a previous ruling. With people like Kobach (and everyone else in the Trump admin) it can be hard to find the distinguishing line between genuinely stupid and intentionally trolling because there’s so much overlap. I guess she gave him the benefit of the doubt.

3 Likes

https://gfycat.com/gifs/detail/EllipticalImaginativeAnemone

4 Likes

Or even just… people?

This stuff isn’t exclusive to English.

People mishear, misremember, and misinterpret words all the time.

1 Like

Huh. I did not know this. I came here to make the same pedantic embitchment.

I agree with GagHalfrunt that this means that the misuse of the word has grown beyond containment, and must now be accepted. I won’t correct people about it anymore, but I’ll continue to hold the line myself.

This puts it in exactly the same state as the quirky North American (mis-)use of “watershed” to mean “drainage basin”, rather than the original (ahem, correct) sense, “drainage divide” or “ridge”.

I thought we already had a remedy for this sort of thing. Disallow any evidence not presented in discovery and let them lose the case. Why give them a mulligan and send em back to school so they can try again? Just disallow the evidence and move on.

I would also guess it is a much more difficult disciplinary sanction to fight, appeal or pardon, than contempt of court’s fine/jail time.

1 Like

♫ Turn in your teasin’ comb and go back to law school ♫

1 Like

In the long-list of things that Kansas needs, a “proper flag” is WAY down the list.

3 Likes

Luckily there are multiple people working in the government, so we aren’t required to attack tasks serially.

1 Like

i resemble that remark

2 Likes

To bad we don’t have video of this. I would have loved to see his face when the judge said that.

1 Like

I’d usually agree.

In this case, I can see why the court took the stance it did.

The judgment is an epic recital of failure, incompetence and what appears to be either repeated fundamental disregard for the rules or deliberate attempts to gain advantage by ignoring them on Kobach and his team’s case.

Simply disallowing the evidence really wouldn’t do it justice.

I was going to provide some examples but really the whole thing is just full of zingers.

It’s also not exactly a ‘mulligan’. He did lose the case. Quite spectacularly.

3 Likes

So, could we say that Kobach has been…
puts on shades
… schooled?

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.