Judge orders Kansas Secretary of State Kris Kobach to go back to law school

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/06/22/bad-guy-worse-lawyer.html

13 Likes

Back to law school? Can they not just jail him for contempt of court, instead?

27 Likes

“a pattern and practice by [Kobach] of flaunting disclosure and discovery rules that are designed to prevent prejudice and surprise at trial.”

Wow, even judges. I think she meant, “flouting.”

Nothing brings out the pedant in me like…

21 Likes

For a country that touts itself as an exemplar of democracy, the USA puts an awful lot of effort into stopping parts of its population from voting.

29 Likes

My Cousin Vinny’s script is so good that it could’ve gotten away with as much screwball bullshit as they wanted in the courtroom, but instead it nails trial procedure so well that a network of legal blogs did a 20th anniversary tribute to the movie back in 2012.
[…]
[T]he biggest problem with the movie is when the prosecutor discloses evidence to Vinny – not because that’s not how the law works but because few courts follow the law that carefully.

23 Likes

I gather there are a lot of bad witches around lately. The president is always talking about hunting them- I think it would be prudent to make sure Kobach is actually a shitty lawyer and not a bad witch in disguise. Let’s see if he floats.

18 Likes

Womp womp.

8 Likes

Both work. Miriam Webster has a secondary definition as a transitive verb: to treat contemptuously. The example phrase is “flaunted the rules.”

Flouting sounds better though.

8 Likes

We’re actually #1 at self-delusion.

I’m sure he will. Eventually. Meanwhile I guess he’s useful for disastrously losing court cases and having to pay the ACLU’s legal fees.

9 Likes

8 Likes

Epic burn.

5 Likes

That is to say that the misuse of flaunt to mean flout has become so common that Merriam-Webster accepts it as a legitimate use.

9 Likes

Wasn’t this a week ago, maybe two?

unrelated: Kansas needs to get a proper flag. It’s ugly even to amateur vexillologists.

4 Likes

Have you met English?

19 Likes

“Flaunting the rules”, bring to my mind the image of Kris Kobach, naked, except for a skimpy skirt made from pages pulled from the statute books, doing a hoochie-coochie dance.

2 Likes

tumblr_p9grtbBOFZ1r7qfb9o1_540

22 Likes

Yeah. I guess I’m just saying that I, personally, think the battle is over when major dictionaries are listing the definition.

I’m not such a prescriptivist that when the dictionary gives up I say it’s because they’re quitters.

6 Likes

Back to school?

https://media.giphy.com/media/l4HoeVtb6LMTRfJII/giphy.gif

8 Likes

Man, I was drinking last night when reading this thread. Now I get up and have to confront that image sober?

It’s a harsh world.

1 Like