Judge orders man's mouth taped shut in court, then orders video of it destroyed

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/07/30/judge-orders-mans-mouth-tape.html

5 Likes

That Judge is kinky.

4 Likes

Can’t use a cellphone at the court? I guess he’ll just have to use a tablet with a data plan.

3 Likes

There is nothing scarier than a thin-skinned judge who treats unruly defendants like this and escalates a bad situation into something much, much worse.

The thing is, they give these judges classes on how to handle these situations. They’re supposed to be able to handle it without this kind of nonsense, because it’s their fucking job.

Sometimes defendants are jerks, sometimes they’re mentally ill, sometimes they’re just not able to understand what the judge is telling them to do and feel so overwhelmed that they lash out, and sometimes a mix of all three. Taping someone’s fucking mouth shut doesn’t address any of these issues, and it gives law enforcement an explicit go-ahead to treat people like this in the jail.

24 Likes

10 Likes

Obviously the focus should be on the judge’s actions, but she didn’t carry them out herself. There are six men in that photo happily doing it for her.

11 Likes

Just following orders …

8 Likes

It’s a shame the law (AFAIK) does not provide for a police person to arrest and detain a judge on suspicion of committing contempt of their own court. Not that any of these officers would have done so, one suspects.

1 Like

I had a hard time finding a well cited picture, but I believe this is the Michael Duhon who was duct taped. Duhon is a really common south Louisiana name.
The picture in the post is from Ohio.

2 Likes

You know who else was just following orders…

Oh, that’s the joke.

1 Like

Glad they had 6 officers to handle this job. I can’t imagine how hard this would be otherwise.

3 Likes

It better be.

Woman: Judge, your honorship, did I hear you say “order in the court”?
Judge: Yes, I said “order”
Woman: Well, I’ll take two cans of beer please

(Pigmeat Markham, for those too young to know the lyric. The woman’s part was apparently sung by Minnie Ripperton.)

3 Likes

If someone in court (defendant or otherwise) farts loudly, can a judge order a butt plug? Would that be punishment, or reward?

EDIT: I would prefer to avoid one, thank you.

2 Likes

When Provost was asked on Wednesday about the separation of children from other family members, she said that it was the law. Historically, “I’m just following the law” has not been a valid defense of gross human rights abuses committed around the world.

this is all so, so fucked up.

4 Likes

On the other hand, some judges don’t gag defendants.

Actually it’s the unholy trinity now:

Papers, please!
Camps
Just following orders!

Step by jackbooted step.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.