Judge reassigned after reversing rape conviction and saying "this is what happens" at teen parties

What does it take to get a judge outright fired? How much more incompetent and corrupt do they have to be?

5 Likes

Hopefully there’s an appeal here. Putting aside how morally abhorrent this was, it’s also legally indefensible. In a criminal case, a jury notwithstanding the verdict is only applicable when no reasonable jury could have arrived at a guilty verdict. (Usually this will be because the state offered no evidence for a necessary element of the crime.) An appeals court could, and should, reverse the judge’s decision.

8 Likes

Reason #437 why electing judges is stupid.

16 Likes

The full quote is even weirder. “This is what happens when we have people, adults, having parties for teenagers, and they allow co-eds and female people to swim in their underwear in their swimming pool". Also, apparently the adults whose house the party was at supplied the alcohol for the party. I wonder if they were charged with anything?

18 Likes

If the adults are guilty of providing the alcohol, shouldn’t they be at least partly guilty of any crime committed by the teens who consumed that alcohol?

8 Likes

In Illinois it certain is illegal for adults to provide booze for teen parties. Illinois General Assembly - Illinois Compiled Statutes

8 Likes

Oh wow, Misogyny. Again.

9 Likes

“A “not guilty” verdict on all charges normally ends a criminal case—the prosecution cannot appeal an acquittal.”
Appealing a Conviction | Nolo

Edited to add that, frustrating though it is in this outrageous case, it is, in general, a very good thing.

3 Likes

Women’s Lives Matter.

4 Likes

id like to believe gross misconduct is an exception

1 Like

I looked that up as well and the exception to double jeopardy is interesting, if the defendant was never in jeopardy in the first place (an example being if the judge were bribed). Our legal system would, I imagine, never accept this line of reasoning in a million years but logically a case could be made that since the judge said

… that means the defendant was never in jeopardy in the first place, as the judge clearly had a predermined outcome in mind that precluded a jail sentence.

13 Likes

Giving teens alcohol is illegal, but it is not a rape-level crime. I have been drunk many times, both as a teenager and as a young adult when drunk teenagers were present, and as a adult when drunk adults were present, and I have never raped anyone. I don’t think alcohol makes you a rapist.
It may create a better opportunity for a rapist to rape, but that crime is entirely the rapists.

10 Likes

Seriously what is the legal theory here? Judges can just read jury verdicts and then go “haha lol nope”?

2 Likes

I keep forgetting that you guys elect judges. That’s so wild. But maybe in this case it might help with removing him.

2 Likes

The term “rape culture” is a concise explanation of this exact situation: normalization of sexual assault such that “this is what happens” is considered an argument.

22 Likes

That's just the truth

9 Likes

It’s…interesting…how he doesn’t seem motivated by the idea that criminals going to jail is what happens in courtrooms; which is the sort of normative assumption one would expect from a judge.

5 Likes

Yup.

5 Likes

Right, but this isn’t a not guilty verdict. The actual term for this is “judgment notwithstanding the verdict.” The jury returned a guilty verdict, and the judge unilaterally overruled it. An appeals court would only need to find that the judge overruling a guilty verdict was inappropriate here.

9 Likes

Only if there’s no way the jury could have reasonably arrived at their conclusion. It’s more common in civil cases than criminal, generally when one party fails to submit any evidence to prove an essential element of their claim.

2 Likes