Just add Guinness: the strange world of prefab "Irish pubs"

Eh, not shocked. I don’t know this company, but in most middle- or north-European countries there are tons of “Irish” pubs (usually called O’Malleys" or something) that serve bad Guiness and some chicken wings.

3 Likes

But do they serve authentic Irish ayahuasca?

6 Likes

There’s one in my parents’ home town of Columbus OH that was an entire pub purchased in Ireland, dismantled, shipped over, and reassembled in the middle of a mall. I’m not sure quite why.

10 Likes

No genuine Irish Airag*? No deal.

*That even looks a bit like a Gaelic word, LOL. .

5 Likes

15 Likes

I’d have to assume there are two versions of the Scottish version: one with Rangers kit and one with Celtic.

2 Likes

How about the deep fried everything?

4 Likes

Do they include authentic Irish drinking songs?

1 Like

i’d always assumed that somewhere there was a giant square rectumed Irish Pub Beast which shambled around our cities, occasionally squatting to extrude another Irish pub.

I’d never thought that humans might be involved.

10 Likes

Just add Guinness: the strange world of prefab “spaceport cantinas”

15 Likes

prefab “Irish pubs”

just in time for St. Patty’s…

3 Likes

Or Hearts and Hibs in Edinburgh. Or Dundee and Dundee United in, er, Dundee. Or <team from one side of sectarian divide> and <team from other side> in <other Scottish town>.

1 Like

This sounds like most Irish pubs in the US, especially the big chain ones.

1 Like

It depends. Was this in Columbus proper, or in nearby Dublin?

1 Like

I assumed it was.

I’m not even Irish on St. Paddy’s Day.*

*If you call it St. Patty’s Day you’re sure as shit not Irish.

5 Likes

In Columbus (well, New Albany) at Easton Towne Center. The pubs in nearby Dublin are pretty legit.

2 Likes

Aw, c’mon, you walked right into that :wink:

2 Likes

Why is it that Irish pubs in particular have spawned this Disneyfied memetic virus? Of all the varieties of drinking holes that humanity has devised since the discovery that fermented vegetable matter got you pleasantly out of your skull, why is this the one that has been packaged and exported in this way?

The only Irish bar I’ve ever been to that seemed at all convincing was one somewhere in the suburbs of Melbourne that had 70s/80s flock wallpaper and posters from the Rising and the War of Independence.

6 Likes

This really only moves the point of curiosity; but for whatever reason the Irish seem to have been enormously successful into packaging their horrific and/or maudlin actual history/twee inherited imagining of oppression and hardship in The Old Country into a veritable cultural juggernaut; so given that it isn’t a huge surprise that drinking facilities to suit would be accordingly popular.

Now, why they, rather than a wide variety of other possible groups, seem to have done so well in that regard; I’m not so sure.

2 Likes