Just add Guinness: the strange world of prefab "Irish pubs"

Which one? Gaelic, association or rugby union?

7 Likes

NEON SNAKES PLAYING REEEEEELS

ackackack

2 Likes

Hey, I walked into that one on porpoise.
Ah carp, there goes Lent.

2 Likes

“Dismantled a pub in Ireland” is probably just what they say rather than admitting they purchased some cheesy Irish bar kit. I bet the manufacturer even assembles a few of the components in Ireland and serves a round of beers in the general vicinity before breaking them down again so people can legitimately say it was a bar in Ireland that was dismantled and re-assembled here.

7 Likes

Because we don’t think of Western Europeans as quantity drinkers but quality drinkers, Eastern European drunkenness just seems depressing, and anything except European is foreign and weird. Irish are stereotypically both drunk and fun.

9 Likes

Does anyone refer to rugby union as simply “football” any more? Even Bath FC finally changed its name (sometime in the '90s, I believe).

IIUC, rugby league is universally referred to as “football” (or “footy”) throughout Australia, except for Victoria where they play something bizarre on oval pitches in very skimpy shorts.

1 Like

Kiwis.

4 Likes

That I did not know.

Union’s the main footy code there. League’s played (like the NZ Warriors in the NRL) but Union’s just huge.

ETA: Super Rugby’s the big money game, but the old NPC (now Mitre 10 Cup and Heartland League or something) gets plenty of airtime. Hell, even schoolboy games get shown sometimes. It’s pretty full-on.

1 Like

Theres a county map to go on the wall,
A hurling stick & a shinty ball,
The bric, the brac, the craic & all,
Lets call it an Irish pub,
Caffreys, Harp, Kilkenny on tap,
The Guinness pie & that cabbage crap,
The ideal wannabee Paddy trap,
We’ll call it an Irish pub,

6 Likes

I’m seriously surprised that they never tried a chain of Star Wars cantinas. I remember that there used to be a chain of Cheers themed bars.

7 Likes

Since I never miss the opportunity for a bad pun, I would have headlined the article Prefab Stout.

12 Likes

You’re likely right. They made a big deal about it when it went in – making a big show of unloading stones and walls and things from trailers that had supposedly come from a small town in Ireland where the pub once sat – but given that it’s basically a strip mall pub, they likely just bought a ‘kit’.

6 Likes

Tigers are still Leicester Football Club, officially, at least.

2 Likes
3 Likes

It helps (at least in the US) that once they lost the accent, they were basically indistinguishable from the English-descended elites who ran the place. So they could put on the “ooh, we were oppressed people once” when it suits them and go back to being “normal” the rest of the time. Other groups that are clearly not of Anglo ancestry don’t really have that ability.

2 Likes

Honestly, in my experience, and certainly in my family, it’s true. I know a lot of Irish-American drunks, but I don’t know many that are angry drunks. Silly mostly. They save the attack of the horrors for when they get home at night.

2 Likes

As sung by Bullwinkle Moose:

Oooh, the taters are old
the meat is a fright
the soup’s left over from Saturday night
We scoop it all up and into the pot
And tell you it’s real Irish Stew that we got!

4 Likes

Did they have McCondoms for sale in the bogs?

2 Likes

The four of those guys are still hanging around together. What Buddies!

3 Likes