Just add Guinness: the strange world of prefab "Irish pubs"

All of the above? I won’t pretend to know the details of each. Out of the 4 I prefer football pub and bog standard pub the best. When I’ve been in the one full of expats. If its busy they have a few dozen games on at all times. And there are often a bunch of Argentinians, French people and what have in there as well so their respective sports too. Its grungier than all but dirty pub. But the beer is fresher and the people are less the wrong kind of New Yorker and Tourist.

Even caught a curling match there once. [quote=“Cunk, post:44, topic:96893”]
“Dismantled a pub in Ireland” is probably just what they say rather than admitting they purchased some cheesy Irish bar kit.
[/quote]

When I was in Ireland at 15. Somewhere in Offaly I think it was. Might have been in Tipperary. There was a thatched roof, very old pub that looked to be in a state of disrepair. Bits and pieces of it were being loaded on a truck. I was told by a family member who lived nearby that it was being dismantled and shipped to the American Midwest. As it had been purchased by some rich American asshole. I was also told that that kept happening and people were pissed about it. So its definitely a thing.

3 Likes

There’s a Guinness brewery in Haiti?!

yeah, they have a bunch of them in Africa and one in Indonesia as well (and no doubt more). I’ve had the some of the Foreign Extra Export from the Nigerian brewery, 8%, was quite nice.

1 Like

Usually the local breweries have to pay (quite a lot) of money to make a guinness like stout and put a guinness label on it.
It is usually much stronger than standard “Irish” guinness 6-8%.

Aussies like Michael Cheikha always talk about “footy” when theyr’e discussing union.

Just came here to say: the pubs I see in Dublin look like someone exported prefab Brooklyn!

I thought this was going to be an article about inflatable pop-up Irish pubs.

7 Likes

The Nigerian stuff is quite nice (they actually export it to the UK for ex-pat Nigerians to drink), but the Guinness in Australia is bloody horrible (tastes like lager).

It’s interesting that the Irish get their own pubs, and the Scots are well known for it too, but what about the Welsh?

Complete with prefab hipsters?

2 Likes

That would be all of us!

2 Likes

I’ve always thought that odd myself, being part-Welsh. Maybe it’s because they don’t really have much of a brewing tradition (they’ve been bigger tea-drinkers than beer-drinkers, historically) or that the Welsh immigrant population never made much cultural impact here, the way the Irish and Scots did. I’d go to a Welsh pub if one was around, eat some Glamorgan sausages and cheese.

1 Like

I found an angry Daily Heil article about one.

Wow. I had the left three, and Greedo always got the coolest ships to fly.

1 Like

Not surprised it’s in Easton. It has been several years since I was last there, but a “genuine Irish pub from a kit” seems like it would fit in just fine. ETC is a pleasant enough place to wander about in, but it’s all facade and pomp. If regular malls were houses, it’s their McMansion. More power to 'em, I guess, but it wasn’t my scene.

And sing. My grandmother is Welsh and I’ve gone to [whatever the Welsh festivals are called in America–Gamon Gavony is my phonetic spelling for whatever those get-togethers are called] and once that group gets singing, they don’t tend to stop.

1 Like

Happy St. Patty’s and/or St. Paddy’s Day!

Same time next year?

Easton’s odd for me to visit, because it was built on the big empty field I used to ride my bike through when I was a kid, back when that part of Gahanna/New Albany was all rural farmland with decrepit barns and houses. Watching Les Wexner build his dream mall on it and then visiting it all the time with my parents (they love it) was very strange; definitely not my scene either. On the plus side, it’s got both a Jeni’s and a Graeter’s, so it’s ice cream heaven.

1 Like

I call our local “authentic Irish pub” Conor O’Neill’s Tipsy McStagger’s , it opens at 7 a.m. this Friday which is just wrong on so many levels.

2 Likes

You ain’t kidding.

My last trip to Europe, we met some scottsmen out on their stag-do. There was a party of 5 left 10 days after starting out in Amsterdam 20 strong. One proudly showed off his broken thumb he’d acquired the night before somehow. It was easy to tell that the groom was still with them, because he was the only one wearing, “Frilly French knickers”.

They also told us of an Irish pub they visited in the Istanbul airport a while back, while traveling for a football match. Muslim country, so there is not a whole lot of people who legitimately go there to drink. So, they set about drinking every drop of alcohol in the place (and succeeded, apparently).

1 Like

OMG, Graeter’s. How I miss it. ::Drool::

2 Likes

Turks, Muslim or not, drink: at least, those on the Mediterranean coast do. (I’m given to understand that the interior is somewhat more conservative.) Poison of choice is rakı, which is essentially the same as the Greeks’ ouzo but without the latter’s subtlety and nuance.

3 Likes