Justice Department tells Appeals Court to reinstate Trump’s Muslim Ban

And this is why Federal judges have their job for life. So they can give their big middle fingers to attempts by elected officials to coerce and cajole them.

5 Likes

So is there a ban or is there not a ban? And are border services searching phones or not?

Cuz there seems to be some confusion at the border…

6 Likes

Well the DoJ’s appeal for ‘immediate reinstatement’ of the Muslim ban was rejected, but apparently it’s still being decided:

4 Likes

I love that its “not a muslim ban” - and yet the only reason this woman was barred was because of her religion.

Also, what is up with the phone prying? If they looked at my locked twitter that is 100% critical of the Drumpfster would they stop me? Nuts.

8 Likes

Honestly, just stay the hell away from the American border. The new underground railroad is going to be clogged enough with US citizens of Muslim faith/heritage, we don’t need a glut of tourists to go with them.

(On a serious note: I know people are travelling there for reasons they don’t feel like they can avoid, or maybe just because they aren’t paying any attention - and it ought to be safe for a person to travel to the US regardless of their religion, they shouldn’t have to pay attention to see whether the US government is banning them or planning to oppress them. To actually suggest Muslims just stay away is, in the best case, riding a very fine line between concern and victim blaming. But I really do have a plan for how to rearrange my living space to fit a couple of American refugees in my condo because it might fucking come to that, and I need my gallows humour.)

5 Likes

and on my side of the pond

In our survey, carried out before President Trump’s executive order was announced, respondents were given the following statement: ‘All further migration from mainly Muslim countries should be stopped’. They were then asked to what extent did they agree or disagree with this statement. Overall, across all 10 of the European countries an average of 55% agreed that all further migration from mainly Muslim countries should be stopped, 25% neither agreed nor disagreed and 20% disagreed.

Europe, fuck yeah!

2 Likes
1 Like

[Trigger warning: I bring up Nazis in this post, if you are going to reply telling me not to bring up the Nazis, please give me a trigger warning at the top of your post]

Obviously people have compare Trump to Hitler, both stupidly and with some reason, but this kind of thing is what makes me feel very worried. People look back on 1930s Germany and on WW2 as if Hitler and the Nazis were like serial killers you never knew you were living next to. Look, some people are just evil and there’s nothing you can do about that, right?

But that’s a terrible analogy to why the world allowed the holocaust to happen. While Germany was rounding Jewish and Romani and homosexual people and putting them in camps, many other countries had active campaigns to try to make sure that refugees from that crisis didn’t come to their shores. The holocaust wasn’t the result of a handful of German people remembered by history being antisemitic, it was the result of because the whole world being antisemitic. And that was happening in the same era as Stalin and Mao. Regarding people as insects who could be exterminated if they were inconvenient was in style.

We live in an even more globalized world now. Things like oceans don’t stop the zeitgeist. I don’t feel like, “Ugh, those stupid Americans, voting in Trump.” I feel more like, “Ugh, us stupid humans, voting in Trump.”

4 Likes

The 9th has done their job. Mission 50% complete!

1 Like

Not us Californians! We vote and we vote, but nobody listens.

1 Like

Ugh, I hope. This was always going all the way to the top, rulings below the Supreme Court don’t matter. Though the unanimity thing gives one hope.

2 Likes

The lack of dissent should mean that SCOTUS remands the case to the appeals court decision.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.