Justice Stephen Breyer plans to retire from Supreme Court

Those two dipsticks have actually consistent voted for Biden appointments, so there’s not much of an indication their intransigence persists beyond legislative questions.

13 Likes

“(mumble) (mumble) Obama (mumble) (mumble)”

2 Likes

Oh, what will Satan’s Tortoise have to say about this one?

15 Likes

Funny Face Reaction GIF

I suspect he’ll attempt to scuttle the appointment because it’s in a mid-term election year…

28 Likes

YES!

Biden Co. needs to put an ultra left BIPOC person, preferably with some background in ass-kicking would make me very happy.

18 Likes

Of course, as the Minority Leader, he’s got exactly zero authority to do that. Thank goodness.

5 Likes

The upside is that it’s less likely the GOP will find a way to sabotage those appointments if they aren’t paying attention. The courts were a critical check on the Trumpists’ power over the last several years and if Biden can get a bunch of reasonable, law-respecting judges in under the radar then that could make all the difference the next time Republicans come into power.

11 Likes

Let’s hope that they continue on that path.

12 Likes

Where there’s a will, there’s a way. If anyone could figure out how to gum up the works, it’s him.

But why wouldn’t the pay attention? Packing the courts with far right conservative loyalists has been a key strategy of the GOP for a while now.

But will a high profile SC appointment cause Sinema to peel off?

4 Likes

I’m thinking that she wants to be re-elected.

3 Likes

Then she might have not blocked the rule change for voting laws, because that’s what triggered several of her big backers to pull out of funding her. That shipped has sailed, so might as well double down and try to get the centrists in AZ to back her.

9 Likes

For the establishment Republicans who have some kind of coherent strategy and goals, sure. But I’d just as soon not have the reactionary loons like the Fox News pundits and the Marjorie Taylor Greenes and the Lauren Boeberts and the Matt Gaetzes get wind of it so they can rile up the base and turn it into another aspect of the culture war and start sending violent mobs to terrorize the families of judicial appointees.

5 Likes

But I think even the “establishment republicans” represented by people like McConnell are part and parcel of promoting this culture war narrative, they’re just far better at seeming to be reasonable, which in some ways, makes them far worse.

6 Likes

Yeah I’m under no illusion that McConnell isn’t paying attention to what’s going on. But for better or for worse (usually the latter) he’s largely lost control of the monster he helped create.

5 Likes

Good heavens, no. Republican Senators have found ways to be obstinate.

6 Likes

/s

19 Likes

Maybe that’s the case. But he’s still in the minority leader and he still seems to have some sway over GOP politics. Or at the very least, he still seems willing to me to play to the worst aspects of Trumpism if it is beneficial for him. He’s holding those cards tight to his chest, but I suspect that if he thinks it will win him back control, he’ll indulge the Trumpist, as that’s what he’s been largely doing since 2016.

7 Likes

“Full power to the grifting engines! Give me everything you’ve got!”

11 Likes

For certain values of “control,” I suppose…

2 Likes

my worry is based on the fact that manchin voted in favor of both gorsuch and kavanaugh. to give him credit, he did vote against barrett. while i understand his anomalous status as democratic senator from west virginia he has been squirrelier than necessary to maintain his incumbency during the biden administration to date.

5 Likes