Justin Trudeau's political party wants to decriminalize ALL THE DRUGS

Stay away from MDMA, it’s extremely acidic; LSD, however, will let you see sound and meet the lacunii populating your inner mindscape.

2 Likes

Actually we’re just months away from seeing the nationwide legalization of marijuana. It will fall into the same general category as alcohol, with age restrictions and distribution channels mandated and managed by each province or territory. Simple possession of cannabis (marijuana being a name coined by the American government as part of their attack on Hispanics when it was made illegal) will be legal as long as age and the other requirements are met.
I’m in favor of decriminalizing all other drugs so that treatment programs become a viable option and the counterproductive clogging of the courts drastically lessened. Decriminalization isn’t legalization - it still penalizes drug trafficking.
The walk-in safe injection facility, InSite has been a major success but the rest of the 4 Pillars treatment and support mandate needs to be vigorously supported to help those with addiction and associated mental health issues have healthy, productive, safe lives.
This is what you see in some parts of Vancouver’s DTES (Downtown East Side):
[url=Diverging Lines | This is the sad part of my work; I develop… | Flickr]
These were exactly as shown in front of a building in Chinatown that I was reviewing security for. I’d really like to see the end of this, and soon. Even VPD regognizes this as a mental health and social problem, not an enforcement issue.

9 Likes

Maybe. But I think perception might be mutable factor in this case.

This party also wanted electoral reform but Trudeau killed that. Trudeau doesn’t give a shit what his party wants. He has been on record as being against both that and wider decriminalization. Now that he is PM he doesn’t care about using consensus.

2 Likes

Not much since then.

I would love to see widespread decriminalization, but I really doubt it is a political winner just yet. It is a good idea, definitely, but the LPC would probably (and correctly) see it as risky at best.

1 Like

This is true

This isn’t.

Stay away from MDMA

Therapeutically, it’s interesting though. In the right setting with the right people I think it could be useful.

5 Likes

MDMA is typically found as a salt… PTSD treatment, other forms of psychotherapy, I mean, as long as you are getting the pure compound at a safe dosage, and not dancing so hard you completely dehydrate, it is fine.

2 Likes

Then big tobacco will take it over up there, then use the money to come down here and stamp out the little guys. It was fun while it lasted… Hey! Citizens actually had cash money in non FDIC banks for a while in Colorado!

I’m curious to see how it all plays out, as long as there is some provision for growing your own, which are really the most ridiculous laws if you think about them.

HOLD IT RIGHT THERE PLANT! GROW ANY MORE AND WE’LL SHOOT!!!

1 Like

I have never been so in favour of abolishing the senate. Seriously, of all the pieces of legislation they could have opposed and stalled over my life, this is the one they go for? Fucking zero-accountability patronage-appointment out-of-touch idiots.

(For those confused by the suggestion of abolishing the senate: The Canadian senate is not an elected body. It’s more like the British House of Lords than the American senate.)

5 Likes

Bad idea. You definitely want to keep all the drugs illegal. Trust me on this.

Al Capone

2 Likes

In fact, the regulations for MMPRs (now ACMPRs) specifically exclude the tobacco and pharmaceutical companies from barging in and taking over the production marketplace. This isn’t to say that there isn’t a lot of money being thrown around by various deep pocketed investors, plus the smaller growers being bought up by the big growers.

2 Likes

Oh, Rob Ford was rabidly anti-legalisation. https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2013/11/19/rob_ford_a_drug_consumer_who_supports_prohibition.html

1 Like

Which is precisely why Big Pharmas are working diligently to isolate the active compounds and patent the extraction so they can charge you big money for the same effects without the ‘fun’. Fun makes authoritarian types go batshit crazy. It weakens their hold on people. Fun bad. Fear good.

4 Likes

He was afraid there wouldn’t be enough left to fuel his own habit.

2 Likes

Reminds me of possibly the funniest SNL bit ever.

2 Likes

As a person that worked for the Vancouver Coroners office for the last couple of years picking up anyone who died outside of a hospital setting, I have picked up hundreds of overdose victims. I think it’s about time they did this, last year over 1400 people overdosed and we picked most of them up.

I’ve picked up people that died with a naloxone kit on their belt. (The antidote to opioids, but you can’t self administer) Kids, never do drugs alone.

I’ve picked up 17 year old children who thought they’d experiment with cocaine on a weekend only to be sold fentanyl. Legalising would provide at least a better quality of drug to inexperienced users.

I’ve picked up people, who when found have a needle hanging out of their arm in back alleyways. By the time we arrive, the needle, and the remainder of the drug that literally killed them is most often stolen by another junky.

Legalising would help so many of these people, I can’t help but think it would be for the best, even if it does cause other problems.

9 Likes

Thank You for the insight.

1 Like

I’m not surprised. Many of the great minds of the 20th century led lives defined by contradiction. J. Edgar Hoover, Jimmy Swaggart, Jim Bakker, Donald Trump- all are public figures of tremendous rectitude and incandescent intellect, but they are each ruled by secret vices and appetites. The flaws in these otherwise pristine vessels only makes us love them more.

1 Like