Kamala Harris and Mike Pence face off in sole VP debate

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/10/07/kamala-harris-and-mike-pence-face-off-in-sole-vp-debate.html

8 Likes

Not really. Pence was just a calmer and softer spoken version of Trump.

He spent the entire time mansplaining and talking over two women, lying, ignoring the rules, and not answering a single question.

It was disgusting to watch.

68 Likes

Sure that this is nothing. Nothing COVID-19 related at all…

31 Likes

mildsauce

11 Likes

Trump is going to die on stage isn’t he?

14 Likes

Is anybody going to address the fly that made a home on Pence’s hair? Was there long enough to start a colony.

19 Likes
32 Likes

He clearly came into the event with a memorized series of hits, and he recited his hits and ignored the questions, and talking way over when it served him.

Also a fucking asshole.

40 Likes

Why wasn’t Karen Pence wearing a mask? They just don’t give a toss, do they…

33 Likes

I am more convinced than ever that the Dems are running Kamala Harris as the prezto be, once Old Joe has to wind down mid way through his first term.
If she is handed the office mid-way through Joe’s term, it won’t count as a term against her allowing her to run twice more for a potential 10 year term.

16 Likes

I’d also really like to see some straight responses.

Q: “Ms Harris are you going to pack the court?”

A: “We’ve discussed it but made no decisions. BUTTT now you mention it - it seems like a good idea…” and

Q: “VP Pence - is your administration going to overturn Roe v Wade?”
A: “I pray every night we do”.

12 Likes

Beelzebub approves this message.

39 Likes

It was like a scene from Amityville Horror.

13 Likes

Clearly the fly won.

22 Likes

I just don’t get the fracking thing. I get it in terms of raising campaign money from gas and oil interests early on, but do they really think it helps them in any way now?

What percent of voters pivot there, like “Yeah, I was gonna vote for Harris, but I believed Pence, so I guess I will vote for Trump.”

Maybe 0.00001%? If it buys them 10,000 votes I would be shocked. I think it is far more of a negative for Biden/Harris to support it, than a gain.

8 Likes

Apparently, over a thousand posts on r/politicalhumor about the fly … they just started automatically deleting them.

pence-fly

10 Likes

Strangely, I think they both did pretty well. Her job was to not change the state of the race in any way, and he did get a few well-directed zingers in there. It’s not going to be enough though, Mike.

At some point in the middle it hit me. I have wasted thousands of hours of my life following the issues, enough to see through the half-truths and full-on untruths that constituted 80+% of what Pence was saying. What would it be like if the Republicans could appeal honestly to the public? Like, “our priorities are different from theirs, here’s what they honestly are, make your choice.” It’s just so clear that Pence knows his job, knows how to cover up the real agenda.

It’s so frustrating that their policies are so reviled by the public that the public literally won’t believe those are the policies.

“There is not a single guy or woman who would run for president that would make it so that pre-existing conditions wouldn’t be covered,” said Phil Bowman, a 59-year-old retiree in Linville, N.C. “Nobody would vote for him.”
Mr. Bowman cast his ballot for President Trump in 2016, and supports him in this election as well.

As for the moderator, would it have hurt her to say “Answer the question” even once? Very first question, why is the US death rate so much higher than every other rich country’s. No attempt made to answer that one.

22 Likes

I found it particularly egregious that they allowed him to bypass the abortion question. She asked something like “If the decision about banning abortions is turned over to the states, what would you want Indiana to do.”

That is a serious, straight-to-the-point election question. “What are your intentions about x.” The only reason to bypass that question is if you don’t want people to know; either your voters because you will betray them, or the opposition, because they will be outraged.

She should have pressed on that til he answered.

27 Likes

It comes down to rural voters in Pennsylvania who make hundreds of thousands of dollars a year leasing out their back yards to oil companies. Totally worth having benzene in your drinking water!

17 Likes

So, rich-ish landowners in a few states. Again, a great way to make campaign money, but I doubt it is 10,000 votes. Biden/Harris alienate way more by refusing to go against it.

2 Likes