Kamala Harris can beat Trump easier than Biden (or anyone else) can, says new CNN poll

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/07/02/kamala-harris-can-beat-trump-easier-than-biden-or-anyone-else-can-says-new-cnn-poll.html

6 Likes

Et tu… :roll_eyes:

19 Likes

Tim Ryan also initiated a similar effort to replace Pelosi in 2016 and got his ass handed to him by a vote of 134–63 so he may not be the best judge of where people stand on replacing senior Democratic leaders for age-related reasons.

40 Likes

Oh, a poll, and from CNN! Two things that don’t seem particularly trustworthy here.

40 Likes

“Would you vote for trump or the Democrat if that Democrat was a head in a jar under liquid nitrogen?” given the response to that by (admittedly) everyone i know, the concept of “beat trump easier” becomes a little vague. But yes, slightly more than the thousand people who curiously answered an out-of-state unknown number and took a survey and thus were anything but a random sampling could well prefer a younger person over an old person. Good for them! As long as no one ever would even think of voting for trump then fine-n-dandy.

9 Likes

So I don’t know why Ipsos included this particular option in today’s head-to-head poll of potential candidates other than to taunt us:

Edit: Oh wait- I guess they’re referring to Michelle Obama? Hell yeah I’d vote for her if she somehow wound up on the ballot.

14 Likes

Including Michelle is only slightly less dumb, as she’s repeatedly made it very very clear she has no interest in getting into politics.

18 Likes

Michelle Obama for president. Yeah, right-wing disinformation cycle. facepalm

10 Likes

I don’t trust that Harris would do well in the election because the last time she was selling herself to the public her performance was abysmal and the powers that be have largely kept her hidden for 4 years. It still makes me facepalm that the dems didn’t chose someone who would plausibly have been next-in-line, participating in executive-office activities so they could have been planning 2024 well in advance getting incumbent credit with a younger candidate. Instead they saddled themselves with Harris and doomed themselves to this exact scenario.

6 Likes

Yeah, it’s really a catch-22, isn’t it?

13 Likes

[dons tinfoil hat]
maybe that was the plan all along! :thinking:
[removes tinfoil hat]
just don’t know what comes over me sometimes…

6 Likes

Enough with the handwringing.

10 Likes

I mean, if the media actually spent time reporting more on all of the things Trump did rather than repeating whatever he says, this would be a blowout for Biden. Instead, they are trying to keep it close by completely ignoring 90 minutes of lies for someone who was obviously fighting a cold but was honest.

All you have to do is look - in the past 4 years, the country has (as usual under Dems), gotten much better on many many factors. Under Trump, after Obama’s stuff began to fade, and he had no new ideas, the economy began to stagger…then his cuts to Obama-era items bit the world in the ass as no one was able to respond to a virus. It was reported by several outlets at the time that the world basically expected - for better or worse - the US to lead responses to outbreaks like this. Like we did on the Ebola one a few years earlier.

I mean, it should be obvious which is the better choice.

23 Likes

Along with accomplishments and results from the Biden administration, natch.

16 Likes

I’m not even reading the article, just came here to say:

*deep breath*…

FUCK POLLS

They’ve been unreliable garbage for ages ever since caller ID was invented, and they’ve achieved complete uselessness with the advent of cell phones as primary lines. There is no way to reliably sample a representative cross-section of the public any more short of mass kidnapping.

20 Likes

9 Likes

Remind me again, who is Seth Abramson and why should I give a shit what he says?

20 Likes

Word.

And also:

28 Likes

Sure, more people may say they’d vote for Harris than for Biden in this poll, but you can bet that her actual presence on the ballot would also bring out hordes of racist, misogynist scumbags to the ballot box who might not have otherwise voted, and whose vote for you-know-who would not have been accurately accounted for in this poll.

I’m not saying Harris won’t do better than Biden, I’m just saying when the actual vote happens, lots of unaccounted for behavior will happen that may make these poll results meaningless in forecasting what will actually happen.

9 Likes

18 Likes