Kane Tanaka, the world's oldest person, has died

Originally published at: Kane Tanaka, the world's oldest person, has died | Boing Boing

12 Likes

My GM passed away this weekend at 101.

Bourbon and Ginger till the end. Probably some chocolates too.

Here’s to all the centenarians out there. Cheers!

id-like-to-make-a-toast-to-life-a-toast-to-life

cheers-toast

23 Likes

Anata e no idaina haha no anzen’na tabi.

P.S. She drinking Boom Boom Lemon?
[Būmubūmuremon]

7 Likes

I guess you mean “grandmother”, but I was imagining that by “GM” you meant the organizer of your local RPG group passed at 101 and I was thinking that was probably a record for a GM.

12 Likes

When I was little, I remember visiting my father’s grandmother, who was born not long after the Civil War, and thinking of all the changes in the world she experienced: cars, airplanes, radio, television, world wars, skyscrapers, etc. As I recall she was more interested in talking about the new family than about the past.

When my son was young he talked with his great-grandmother about her past; her memories were about being a young girl on the farm, going to school, etc, and less about the world.

And now I wonder what path Mrs.Tanaka’s memories took? Was she worldly? Did she live a rural life? Who made an impact on her?

11 Likes

She was not only the oldest living person, but the second oldest ever. Jeanne Calment was the only person documented to reach 120, let alone 122. Ms Tanaka was the first person to live past 119 in over 22 years.

8 Likes

My desires to be a centennial have waned these past years. I’m good with 90 now.

10 Likes

Already in her 40s by the time WWII ended. Wild.

10 Likes

Second oldest person in the world gets a promotion.

11 Likes

burns

11 Likes

Shit, these last few years have been so rough that I’m good with living to be fifty.

3 Likes

My condolences! What a run for your GM, though! I’m sure she lived it well!

5 Likes

The current oldest person in the world is a French nun who survived covid at age 117.

7 Likes

You’re still a pup! Hang in there.

5 Likes

If I’d spent that many decades working for God I’d frankly be a little let down that He still had no apparent desire to meet me in person.

7 Likes

How accurate is this though? More than once the so-called oldest person has turned out to be based on sloppy birth records, sometimes a little fraud, and other unreliable data.

The fact is record keeping isn’t always very good that long ago, and sometimes parents or children of those people have to make up a date when asked for official records much later in their life. Plenty of people (particularly in rural areas), back then didn’t know how old they were, but then had to get a drivers’ license or something at 50 and made up a number.

The TL;DR is that for anyone born before about 1930, be very suspicious of such claims of extreme age.

7 Likes

If anything I’d be even more suspicious if someone born after 1930 claimed to be the world’s oldest person. :wink:

13 Likes

I don’t know. We have birth certs/baptismals from family in Puerto Rico going back hundreds of years.

7 Likes

I know my grandparents’ exact ages, and they would be about as old as this woman if they were still alive

4 Likes

Exactly- my grandparents on all sides were older (oldest 1892) & I have their birth certs. From Puerto Rico, Ireland, Scotland & Germany respectively.

That covers a lot of ground- all with accurate docs - and going back generations further on each side. Marriage and death certs doable as well.

6 Likes