Kansas GOP donors beat an effigy of President Biden

A former head of the Kansas Republican Party is calling for the resignation of two current leaders after video of the outrageous event surfaced.

Which is why he’s the former head of the Kansas Party. Though i’m sure he did his part to lay the foundation for the kind of thuggish behaviour that’s now giving him the vapours.

5 Likes

They believe in a particular ideology. You’re not going to fix that with media literacy classes.

6 Likes

Didn’t say it would.

But it does contribute to why we expect the Rights response to this to be violence and the Lefts response to a TFG effigy or the Kathy Griffin photo is nothing.

But I guess trying to put any sort of explanation on it is foolish and offensive.

Well, we expect acts of violence because there is very much a history of violence from the far right. Again, I don’t think that’s about media literacy as much as it is knowing about history.

5 Likes

Understood.

2 Likes

And that would be a bad thing?

3 Likes

I was contemplating the equivalent treatment Trump got - specifically, the Trump pinatas that got made (and bashed). It feels quite different, as that’s not-entirely serious, creative, playfull, humorous… whereas this is just pure hatred, just a straightforward, serious desire to harm. I can’t imagine a Democratic event doing anything remotely comparable to this, even though the candidates aren’t remotely comparable.

2 Likes

Quite. There is that scene in Annie Hall, but the way it’s filmed makes it near impossible to edit out the short guy with glasses.

3 Likes

To think that we could have avoided all of this insanity if Daddy Trump had just hugged a few times.

1 Like

Unfortunate for the SS agents. Just good comedy for anybody else who likes a “conservative hero” who’s a draft dodger* and gets himself appointed guardian of an under-18 girl so he can marry her.

*I don’t necessarily judge all draft dodgers; I just “enjoy” it when they somehow get held up as some kind of red-blooded, 'Murican ideal.

Closer to this, actually probably even more extreme than this, was Kathy Griffin holding up a decapitated Trump head. She not only got a visit from the Secret Service over that, it really hurt her career. And it probably should have. The same should happen here…but it won’t. Well, they will probably get a visit and a finger wagging from the Secret Service, but no one is losing a job over this, I suspect.

3 Likes

I didn’t even think about the Griffin picture, as it feels like a completely different dynamic to me - it’s not like she was enjoying herself by decapitating a Trump effigy. It was all about the creation of an image, which was intended to be shocking. It was art, not recreation, even if a loathing of the figure was involved in both cases.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.