Kansas GOP donors beat an effigy of President Biden

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/03/11/kansas-gop-donors-beat-an-effigy-of-president-biden.html

9 Likes

Surely this warrants a visit from the FBI?

27 Likes

As well as all involved being placed on the no-fly list, like Kathy Griffin was.

32 Likes

I wonder how they feel about all of their campaign contributions going to a traitor’s legal defense fund.

14 Likes

They’re fine with it.

18 Likes

Is this when it’s okay to talk about The Former Guy having a copper deficiency?

4 Likes

This calls to mind the horrible commercial where Sarah Palin tastelessly and deliberately–and dangerously–ran a political ad with specific politicians’ faces shown in the crosshairs of a rifle scope:

After Loughner’s shooting, some of Palin’s surrogates claimed the map was never intended to portray crosshairs, and instead said they were “surveyor’s symbols.” But that was debunked by Palin herself, when she acknowledged that the symbols were intended to be crosshairs.

Even if the gunman’s action wasn’t influenced by that specific ad, the normalization of lethal violence as part of some “political statement” is never ok.

Not ok.
Never ok.

Bryan Cranston Reaction GIF

ETA: word missing

19 Likes

I’d like to think that in one possible future effigies of Trump might be burned in the streets on a national holiday similar to Guy Fawkes day, but that would mean we’d all have to see his face for generations to come, so I’ll just settle for pooping on his grave once he’s gone and hope that future generations remember him only as the fascist garbage he was and shake their heads in disgusted amazement (much as I do every day right now) that people were ever stupid enough to support such a vile, incoherent, corrupt waste of space.

18 Likes

Technically…

11 Likes

I missed that this was going on, as I live in OP now. Last weekend was Planet Comiccon and i was per-occupied.

1 Like

There is a long tradition of political effigies, but given the Right’s poor media literacy, I don’t think they understand symbolism.

8 Likes

I know at the time I interpreted that ad as “Will no-one rid me of these turbulent Democrats?”

12 Likes

Something something “Trump Derangement Syndrome.”

12 Likes

Your moment of Zen:

9 Likes

There is also a long history of that turning into actual political violence. The point is often doing so. Given the extreme that the GOP is at right now, that very well COULD turn into actual violence, since there has been plenty from the far right as of late.

Context matters.

12 Likes

You are right. I don’t think they understand symbolism. This won’t end well given the Right’s poor media literacy.

3 Likes

This isn’t about media literacy. it’s about a violent political movement seeking to impose it’s will on the rest of us. :woman_shrugging:

12 Likes

This behavior does not represent the values of the Republican Party.

Well, you keep saying that, but it keeps happening …

16 Likes

“Highlights from the Grand Ol’ Party ft. Ted Nugent! – Overland Park, KS, 3-8-2024”

Just don’t send the Secret Service to talk to The Nuge. He’ll end up shitting his pants to try to get out of it.

6 Likes

Disagree with the first part, agree fully with the second.

Related, there are no suitable Marshall Mcluhan reaction gifs.

2 Likes