Kanye West files trademark for "YEWS"

Yeah that “bugs” me too

5 Likes

11 Likes

Mostly said these days about Elon, but definitely applies here:

Gilbert Gottfried What An Asshole GIF

5 Likes

Well, yes - by “poisonous to farm animals” this is aristocratic propaganda to stop people planting yews where horses can get at them. Edited after Chenille has pointed out my information is incorrect. [They are not poisonous to cows or sheep. Incorrect. They ARE poisonous to cows, sheep and goats.] In fact there used to be a scottish company that made jam with yew berries. The berries themselves are perfectly safe, but the seeds are not! The whole system of medieval bows is worth looking into. I doubt very much whether churchyard yews were harvested for bows. It should be possible to see where boughs have been lopped for the purpose, and there is very little evidence. At certain times - I think it was during the reign of John Lackland - that it was forbidden to make a bow entirely of yew, and only composite bows could use yew wood, as useable yew wood was so rare. Previously bow-makers were required to make (I think it was) fifteen bows of other woods, for every yew bow they made. A chap I know made a pennywhistle from yew wood, but in his enthusiasm he neglected to season it, and his whistle ended up as a quarter circle. He still managed to find a buyer for it, though.

2 Likes

Where are you getting that yews are not poisonous to cattle and sheep? Most sources to do with livestock poisoning explicitly mention them as vulnerable. :confused:

8 Likes

Perhaps going forward Kanye’s toxicity will be a handy reminder to people that yew trees are poisonous.

4 Likes

At first glance I thought the headline meant he was going to start his own boutique woo-fascist news network. I should’ve known with this asshole, that is not dangerous or arrogant enough.

2 Likes

You are right, I am wrong. I apologise. I was repeating what I had been told without checking. I note, though, that the toxicity varies with the time of year, and it is possible this led to the misunderstanding and the misinformation.

5 Likes

I think that it is safest to assume that everything is poisonous :smile::+1:

It’s true, indeed, but as yon fellow Paracelsus said, it depends on the dosage.

If only Kanye could take in some of that enlightened wisdom that the Yew tree in A Monster Calls was dishing out.

3 Likes

He doesn’t know anything about the trees

2 Likes

Yo say that with less words and stuff, you’re breaking the category.

1 Like

Big old yew trees often have drooping branches which can themselves root and form new trees - presumably that helped early British Christians form a link with the resurrection.

It’s a good year for the yews around here - I don’t think I’ve ever seen so many berries. Why do they look so delicious/

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.