Kareem Abdul-Jabbar to publish Mycroft Holmes novel

[Permalink]

3 Likes

That’s so cool! I know nothing about basketball, but it always makes me happy when somebody reveals an unexpected dimension.

3 Likes

The guy is a renaissance man…He’s also been a volunteer coach at a high school on a reservation.

2 Likes

And an airline pilot…

11 Likes

And a martial arts jobber…

http://thegrio.files.wordpress.com/2013/12/bruce-lee-vs-kareem.jpg

4 Likes

Truthfully, polymaths are awesome.

My favourite is Bruce Dickinson. Heavy Metal star, international fencer, airline pilot, novelist, brewer, broadcaster…

5 Likes

One should note that he had a co-writer. Call me cynical, but it’s easy to speculate that he came up with the outlines of the tale, while she (Anna Waterhouse) did most of the actual writing.

1 Like

Sounds quite a bit like Buckaroo Banzai.

2 Likes

Brian May: musician, singer, songwriter, astrophysicist, animal rights advocate and stereophotographer/historian.

5 Likes

Or, The Hound of the Basketballs.

6 Likes

That guy never works hard enough on defence.

2 Likes

1 Like

Which is why I’m a bit dubuious of the book. If it’s good it’s good. But I have no reason to expect it will be good.

http://vimeo.com/91715361

1 Like

Maybe he’s a better writer than he was a running back.

That always tickled me. Not that he became a pilot; his interest in flying was always apparent in songs like Aces High, Tailgunner, and Silver Wings. No, it was funny that he became an actual airline pilot.

Kinda like enjoying driving so much you eventually become successful enough as a rock star to follow your life’s other dream, and become your own Tour Bus Driver.

4 Likes

they just make me feel lazy.

Like Harry Shearer. I would have been comfortable with his stellar acting, improv, and voice work.

Knowing that he is more successful than I in his side-side projects, like writing and playing bass in jazz bands, just makes me feel like a loser.

3 Likes

I’m with you on this one. My drumming, my guitar playing, my bass playing, my woodworking, my screenwriting, my videogaming, my car restoration, my sewing, my outdoorsmanship, my singin’ and dancin’ and actin’ skills… there are a million things I like to do, and other than spelling, I can’t do any of them particularly well. I’m not even a “jack-of-all-trades-master-of-none.” I’m more of a “four-of-clubs-of-all-trades.”

4 Likes

to be honest, I thought this was pretty inspired

Now you cut that out. I spent a couple hours volunteering in my son’s kindergarten class last month, and hell’s bells I haven’t been called Ronald McDonald/Donald Duck/Old MacDonald so many times since I was in elementary school myself. I can’t help it if my parents cursed me to be the youngest Donald in the civilized world.

You don’t want me to start posting pics of yer sweet arse again, do ya?

Or worse… pull back the veil a bit further…

1 Like