KARR says KITT is inferior

Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, yawn.

COME ON, Chitty could fly. And not accidentally, either.

I do concede Herbie had more personality, though.

1 Like

I loved Airwolf as a kid but even back then I was gobsmacked by the hubris of whoever green-lit season four.

Network Exec 1: We need to make more episodes of this show to make it eligible for broadcast syndication.

Network Exec 2: But we don’t have a budget and most of the cast’s contracts are up. Plus Jan-Michael Vincent has been hitting the bottle pretty hard lately.

Network Exec 1: No problem, we’ll just write all those characters out of the show.

Network Exec 2: ALL of them?!

Network Exec 1: Sure. The fans will be fine with it.

Network Exec 2: But we don’t even have access to the helicopter anymore!

Network Exec 1: I honestly don’t think anyone will notice.

7 Likes

I thought the female Sheriff was an odd choice, not sure what she added apart from Token Girl.

Did they ever find St.John Hawk?

I know, right? Don’t knock the Chitty-Bang, folks; it was much cooler if you read the book.

I did have a hot-wheels version of the movie car when I was a kid, though, and it was pretty sweet, with little fold-out wings and everything. Have no idea what happened to it.

3 Likes

Are you sure you aren’t thinking of Airwolf II?

No, apparently you’re not. I didn’t know that happened early as season 4.

OK I’ll stop replying to myself after this. I think IMDB lists season 4 as “Airwolf 2” even though it’s really the 4th season of Airwolf. Or maybe it was at some point actually called that or marketed that way.

Ummm:

7 Likes

Yeah, that character miraculously turned up just in time to replace his brother Stringfellow as the lead character in Season 4 after String got blown up in the first episode.

The guy who played St. John was a different actor than the guy who played him in earlier episodes though, and they changed the story of his mysterious absence from “MIA in Vietnam” to “working deep cover for the CIA all this time.”

I’m pretty sure the people who made Season 4 barely even watched seasons 1-3.

1 Like

There is a weird episode of Nash Bridges where Jan Michael Vincent turns up as Don Johnson’s long-lost brother. Spooky :wink:

1 Like

Wes Anderson riffed on some cars with attitudes in this commercial that I think is cute:

2 Likes
1 Like
3 Likes

There was one helicopter crash shot in Airwolf they reused constantly. After awhile, I could even remember which direction the debris was going to fly off in.

2 Likes
4 Likes

KARR appeared in two episodes. In the first he had a sensor grill that was exactly the same as KITTs. In the second his sensor had “deteriorated” and turned amber. In both episodes he has a voice light made up of yellow LED bars.

The popularity of KARRs voice box prompted the show runners to give KITT a similar one in Season 2. Up until that point KITTs voice light was a simple red panel that lit up and not the iconic animated 3 LED bar everyone associate ls with the character.

4 Likes

I’ll do you one better. My brother and I had a peddle car version of Chitty Chitty Bang Bang that you could ride around in and pull a handle to expand the wings. I’m told it was my favorite toy ever (I really don’t remember it very well. I was around 4 or so)

Looked like this:

7 Likes

I also remember the scanner being different for KARR,
and I think some of that holds over if you look here:

where the scanner kind of wants to go in two directions. I did also remember it being yellow, too…

Kind of like the cylon with the broken scanner.

From the Wikipages:

Originally, KARR appeared entirely identical to KITT and was originally 100% all Black like KITT with a red light scan bar like KITT… When KARR returns in “K.I.T.T. vs. K.A.R.R.”, KARR’s scan bar is now amber/yellow and is now very similar to KITT, and is still 100% black like KITT for the first half of the episode.

[snip]

KARR later gets a brand new black and silver two-tone paint job incorporating a silver lower body into his familiar 100% all-black finish.

2 Likes