Kate Bush's 1985 hit, "Running Up That Hill," back on the charts thanks to Stranger Things 4

I was thinking this might be the cover that @orenwolf was thinking of

4 Likes

Hmmm…freshest moves? Kate Bush related?

@catsidhe

A lot of her videos involve interpretative dance. Such as:

8 Likes

Really enjoying the covers posted in this thread-Thank you!!!

Here’s one of my favs - the Futureheads doing Hounds of Love:

5 Likes

Stranger Things was actually where I heard it for the very first time. I’m not as musically inclined as many people, but I’ve listened to a lot of 80s music in particular, and I can’t believe this never once came up in any playlist.

7 Likes

Hearing it again in Stranger Things reminded me how much I liked it - and how baffled I still am by the lyrics.

7 Likes

Kate can explain it here:

11 Likes

Don’t you mean the You You Utah Saints?

4 Likes

She definitely kept her pants on. She did put on a new pair of trousers though.

Missed that link. She’s somewhat… delicate about what her lyrics relate to. In that and Cloudbusting in particular.

From memory she signed a record deal really young. Like several years before she released The Kick Inside and part of the record company’s thinking was that she needed to become less shy by gigging with the Kate Bush Band and also doing things like studying dance. She chose Lyndsay Kemp, Bowie’s mentor. So I think it could have been on the record company’s dollar that she studied with him and she, as she did with everyone and everything, sucked up a lot of influence from him. He’s in her film which I’ve never seen (that she says is rubbish).

7 Likes

I remember the ad in the launderette.
Been trying to find the vid of Alas Smith & Jones doing the mickey-take.

“Nah, he doesn’t wash his underwear”, while two dad-bod brits sit nekkid behind their newspapers.

2 Likes

Cloudbursting is about Wilhelm Reich’s arrest by government agents and the trauma it caused his son Peter, told from Peter’s POV as an adult “every time it rains.” The yo-yo his father gave him was beautiful because it glowed in the dark, but dangerous because it was radioactive, symbolic to Peter of his father. The video presents the story quite literally, with Donald Sutherland as Wilhelm and Kate as the young (and disturbingly beautiful and sexually attractive) boy Peter. The real cloudbursting machines did not look as cool as the one in the video, though. Nor did they actually work.

It’s a beautiful, heartbreaking song.

7 Likes

I’ll take “what is an earworm” for $100?

1 Like
6 Likes

I love that video, but my wife (who loves the song) said: “If Donald Sutherland and Kate Bush went to karaoke together, you’d quickly pick out which one was the professional singer. I’m looking at this video and I’m seeing which one is the professional actor. It’s … distracting me.” Fair enough. :slight_smile:

8 Likes

Big Boi approves…

Still waiting for him to the release the song with her on it…

Tired Over It GIF by Desus & Mero

8 Likes

I bet the next “The Most Wuthering Heights Day Ever” will be a blast!

The Most Wuthering Heights Day Ever - Wikipedia.

The Most Wuthering Heights Day Ever 2022 | Things to do in Sydney.

7 Likes

It started before 1980

Ian Dury and the Blockheads hadn’t had any chart success before Hit Me With Your Rhythm Stick got to #1, although they were an influence on punk. The band had thought they had missed their chance until they released this.

7 Likes

Golden State Warriors Reaction GIF by NBA

Also…

3 Likes

Listening to Hounds of Love (the song) again I feel like there’s almost shades of David Byrne in there. Not that she got it from him, but just that it taps a similar erratic, bouncy, primal noise-making vibe.

Under Ice is giving me the Bjorks in a big way too…

2 Likes

More like the Talking Heads were influenced by Kate Bush…

6 Likes

I love that song. It’s about anticipation, and the music almost maddeningly avoids resolving anywhere. The drum pattern goes in captivating circles, and there are no cymbals, no big crashing escape or finale. I’m not even sure there’s a snare drum in there, which would give a feeling of progress. The melody also circles, and the cellos support the holding pattern. It’s amazing, delightful, astonishing, and frustrating in that way when you’re cheering for your favourite character in a book to do something, and the author is making you wait. And it sounds like a pop hit. Love love love it.

3 Likes