Keanu's 60 second recap of the 'John Wick' films

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/04/30/keanus-60-second-recap-of-th.html

3 Likes

Haven’t seen any of these - cheesy revenge boners aren’t my thing - but if it helps Keanu fund the new Bill & Ted movie, I’m happy.

ETA: Not intended as a dis. There are lots of cheesy things I enjoy. Nothin’ wrong with cheesy.

3 Likes

I still haven’t seen John Wick 2 but I was actually very surprised at how well done John Wick was.
Fun, a good reworking of a standard plot, great action choreography and Keanu isn’t just phoning in the role which it seems like he does in a lot of films.

7 Likes

One thing I got from this recap is that he seems to really enjoy making the franchise. That goes a long way. Perhaps I’ll catch 1 or 2 on streaming.

5 Likes

I think Wick 1 was better than Wick 2. It kinda got a little too much flashy fighting and stuff at one point.

But I did learn how to do a one handed press check thanks to John Wick 2.

2 Likes

Wick 2 added this thing called a story and world building that Wick 1 did better by not giving a shit.

In Wick 1 things like the Continental and the society of assassins were there and just accepted without a whole just of needing to be explained. Things just were and you didn’t need to know why, Keanu was kicking ass.

Wick 2 they tried to merchandize all the things that were excellent in their vagueness which required forming them up, sadly making them less interesting.

…and yeah a lot of the fights were bigger, flashier and more “Oh, for fucks sake!” than in the first.

“My name is John Wick. You killed my dog. Prepare to die.”

vs

“Please watch my new dog. A dude cashed in some chip that means I have to kill his sister and thus make a good bodyguard look like a bad bodyguard even tho we probably like each other. We will fight and I will kill the bodyguard, and the dude with the chip cause fuck him. even if this fucks my standing at the clubhouse, I’m John Wick.”

7 Likes

The French have 257 types of cheese.

7 Likes
4 Likes

This is accurate.

3 Likes

tenor

5 Likes

Yeah, I loved the “back story” from the original movie, which was basically all told by how terrified the old mobster was when he realized he had John Wick’s car. At that point you know everything you will ever need to know about John Wick.

10 Likes

Some good music, too!

2 Likes

John Wick was far better than it had any business being. Mostly due to a wild supporting cast and some interesting “world building”. Cheezy but some thought definitely went into the writing and half of the acting.

5 Likes

I’m just going to say, the bathhouse scene from John Wick is a thing of magnificence. The cinematography, the choreography, the music and sound design, holy shit — it just comes together perfectly. Sometimes I’ll just watch that scene.

2 Likes

This is actually why I like the second more. Those things came out of nowhere, and it felt like the movie was becoming unglued from reality. The second movie is always firmly in the fantasy alternate reality, where it’s possible to have high-class assassin hotels public worldwide, where the grand council of world organized crime can throw Iranian gypsy punk parties for hundreds of guests, where the New York homeless are really an organized cabal of information gatherers and killers, where everyone - everyone - is an assassin, where anything from a customized rifle to a single drink costs one gold coin, and where vital communication work is done by tattooed 1940’s switchboard operators and a single Commodore 64.

2 Likes

I keep hearing great things about the continental. must be a classy place

1 Like

Keanu made Hollywood screen writing sound easy in that clip. You stole my car, you killed my dog now you must die. I found my car, I owed a favor, now you must die. So simple I don;t think he really needed the entire 60 seconds.

2 Likes

The more I think about it, this is exactly WHY we shouldn’t have a Boba Fett-centric movie. Could he show up? Sure, but I don’t want to know any thing new about him.

1 Like

We already know all about Boba and what you fear is absolutely true. The Star Wars Clone Wars and Star Wars Rebels appearances of the feared and mysterious Boba Fett are all really weak and not very interesting. Boba is a lowrent Woody Harrelson.

1 Like

I figure Boba as a kid doesn’t ruin it, as many bad asses were once geeky kids…

But the new Clone Wars SHOULD have the scene previously shown mocked up at a con, where he duels Cad Bane and wins.

But yes, Fett’s appeals is that he is a bad ass whole will hunt you down and whether or not he is or does is besides the point the fear of him is what sells it.

We should be in Hollywood, tell them whats good :wink: