Keeping it light -- what TV shows do you find unwatchable?

Bingo.

Man, can you imagine what kind of dictatorial hellscape the world would be like if we weren’t allowed if we were only allowed to read what books the morality police said we could? North Korea is lovely I’m sure…

8 Likes

No. That’s not true.
Daniel Tiger’s Neighborhood. Wild Kratts. Odd Squad. Super Why!
All watchable, all reasonable.
Caillou is an abomination that needs to die with fire.

7 Likes

My youngest has moved on from Playhouse Disney. No more Sofia the First, or Octonauts, or Sheriff Callie. I miss those days. If she didn’t have older sisters I’d think we coulda gotten another year maybe. She told me a story about how a boy in her class – start of 3rd grade – brought in some Octonauts collection and other kids made fun of him :frowning: My girl stuck up for him though which was nice to hear.

Caillou sucks though. I hate that kid.

2 Likes

I find it hard to watch anything with a laugh track. Sometimes I will force myself, especially if it is something my wife enjoys. But I tend to just hear “statement…statement…witty comeback…laughter” in sort of an endless cycle.

2 Likes

My 7 year old nephew watches Octonauts and other Playhouse Disney shows, and they’re surprisingly good! We were talking about animals with funny names and I thought I’d impress him with the name of the Hawaiian state fish, and he piped up, “Oh! You mean the humuhumunukunukuapua’a? I learned about that on Octonauts!” and he started singing a song about it.

10 Likes

I’m glad I’m not the only one who sees the resemblance. Can’t stand that guy, either.

1 Like

It’s like… i keep expecting him to break out with “We Are The Champions”. Every dramatic pause they give him and I can literally imagine the keyboards coming on.

That whole gang needs to do a musical number with him for the outtakes or something.

2 Likes

I don’t like most sitcoms, honestly. ESPECIALLY the genre of sitcom that is “asshole people get themselves into stupid situations.” This includes Arrested Development, It’s Always Sunny In Philadelphia, Seinfeld, etc. If I want to watch awful people be awful, I’ll watch a crime show where I’m not supposed to like the awful person.

11 Likes

Awww I love “Its Sunny” - they’re just such idiots. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

You seem to know about the inner lives and motivations of of other people, are you as sure that you’re naming their dragons when you go on about others like that?

You lost me at “I know no one knows…”. When your opening bid is Mind Reading of The Masses, and your arrive at your closing ad hominem by way of mentioning what a waste of time it is to insult people online, i mean… Do you see what you did there? We see what you did there.

Your opinion is much much more interesting than your opinion on other peoples opinions. Same as it is for me. So, lets get back to interesting, k?

7 Likes

Can’t watch this guy. Can’t stand the dynamic he had with his ‘token’ balance co-anchors. I had a boss once who had a long time employee who was clearly his ‘punching bag’. That dynamic isn’t good tv for me.

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/tHQnMM1PFIs/maxresdefault.jpg

6 Likes

That’s… Alarming. (Space blanket)

7 Likes

Adventure Time is a cartoon, but one that marvels adults. The amount of pathos they created for the “villains” (except magic Man, he can eat a box of broken glass for all I care) and the vulnerability of the heroes is epic.

On that note, I need to go practice the viola.

7 Likes

Not familiar with most of those, but my youngest is 14. My son was a huge fan of the Kratts ‘Zaboomafoo’, asked my mom to make him a Zaboo costume for Halloween. I do know shows for even a little bit older were more watchable, like Arthur or Berenstain Bears. They had humor or irony. But the littlest ones like stuff that’s soporific to us.

1 Like

This is true. Those shows actually are engaging and peppy. Not ‘mindless shouting at the TV.’

My niece is turning three soon. She loves doc mcstuffins. I like that show a lot better than Mickey’s ‘shout at the TV’ formula. It’s actually kinda frightening to look at her watching TV… And realize the cogs and wheels are moving.

She can already to an extent grasp I know things she wouldn’t.

3 Likes

My littlest loved Doc. Parents of little kids … eat up this phase. It doesn’t last long. Especially when there are older siblings.

Stanley was a good show too.

1 Like

This is a modern phenomenon, think about the name: SITuation COMedy, it’s not ASShole COMedy. There are exceptions. In ‘Younger’ for example, a normal 40 year old woman pretending to be 26 to get a publishing entry level job. There’s a couple of silly narcissistic supporting characters, but mostly it’s driven by the situation. Same for Braindead, normal people dealing with brain eating, body snatching, alien bugs in DC.

http://cdn.newsbusters.org/images/TwoBrokeGirls_1.jpg

4 Likes

Whenever I would catch Everybody Loves Raymond, it made me feel like I was really missing out on an American experience of family that so many people thought the show was funny and I just not only didn’t like it, but felt that the jokes totally missed their mark. It wasn’t like, oh, I see how other people could think this was funny. It was like, Wait, people find this funny? It’s super popular? What’s wrong with me that I cannot grasp what is interesting about this. As opposed to say, Friends, which wasn’t my thing but I thought that the people in it were good actors who did a nice job with the material. I didn’t get into but I saw why it was popular. Everybody Loves Raymond, I don’t get it at all. It makes me feel left out.

8 Likes

I also like It’s Always Sunny In Philadelphia. It’s like Seinfeld if all the characters were George Costanza. The characters are so hateable I love them.

Speaking of which, how about Trailer Park Boys? I liked the show early on, but it’s been on for a really long time, and it’s starting to get old.

2 Likes