Keeping it light -- what TV shows do you find unwatchable?

I watch it to see people get crestfallen when they find out their old crap is just old crap.

Likewise, I watch Project Runway to see pretentious kids get pwned

6 Likes

I think I’d like it more if they said things like " $40,000?! Well shit, that’s the leccy bill sorted for the next few years. I’ll take $30K in cash now if you want it."

This bullshit “oh no, we couldn’t possibly part with it” over-privileged crap winds me the fuck right up. :angry:

I watch it to steal ideas from get inspiration for designs. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

My uncle went on it once.

Knowing full well what he was bringing and what it was worth.

6 Likes

Yeah, I don’t buy this whole, “Well, I really don’t know what it’s worth” line that most of them trot out.

More honest would be something like “I reckon it’s worth this much, but I think the guy who told me that was trying to rip me off and I don’t trust him.”

4 Likes

IIRC, you have to submit photos etc ahead of time so they’ll have some time to research what you have.

I remember the most amusing people were those who tried to conceal how disappointed they were when their thing was only worth ÂŁ500 or whatever.

6 Likes

Yeah I suspect there are a bunch like that.

2 Likes

It’s honestly funny how they carry off the conceit of the show, that everyone is so shocked about the big valuation, when the only motivation to come out for the event is to strike it rich. They try to pretend people come for the fun of it, but you know everyone is hoping, “Please let me be the one whose thing is worth life changing money.”

2 Likes

I’d do that, if what I was bringing was totally crass and outrĂ©. Like, a lingam soap dispenser that I claim has great intrinsic, monetary, and spiritual value.

3 Likes

In the NYTimes today, YET MORE TIME TRAVEL SHOWS!!! Grrrrrrrrrr

I’m liking The Expanse, but expect it to eventually go down the time travel rabbit hole like every fucking other SF show ever. The story of the Epstein Drive was pretty handwavy, but at least it wasn’t time travel. Haven’t seen the conclusion of that flashback thread yet. My physics & math isn’t good enough to calculate how much reaction mass you’d need, even if the drive were 100% efficient and could eject it at light speed, to sustain 20 gees for days, but I’m guessing a lot.

At least the Epstein Drive explains why interplanetary orbital maneuvers on the show seem to happen in minutes or hours rather than months.

2 Likes

I don’t watch many television shows. I am extremely sensitive to anybody trying to influence my mood, which turns me off of two things instantly: advertisement and laugh tracks. Typically I download a few series which I choose to watch and avoid that stuff. Sometimes if I really like a show, I will suffer with the laugh track anyway, but it still grates.

With digital streaming enabling a television program to carry multiple audio streams, I think that laugh tracks need to be strictly optional on an isolated track.

People seem to have weirdly conflicted feelings about the illusion of participation and community that audience recordings represent. When I am working around the house and decide to make a show of joining in with the noisy applause and laughter, or cheering at game shows - those who were quietly watching the show either stare or laugh at me, as if I am being weird. Why is it weird if I get undignified and hoot and clap at your show, but it’s not weird that a few hundred other people are doing it?

3 Likes

I can’t recall the last time I chose to watch a show with a laugh track. The only recent sitcoms I’ve watched, Younger & Braindead, are single camera, no laugh track.

2 Likes

My little one has recently inspired a marathon of every episode of Monty Python’s Flying Circus, because they know that many of my weird references originate there. The laughter is recorded live, and not too obtrusive, but I think doesn’t bring anything to the experience.

I have a housemate who watches sitcoms on a regular basis. When I am cooking in the kitchen I can often hear the words as only a muffled noise, and this makes the rhythm of the laughter more obvious. It makes it seem less like humor than being periodically bludgeoned with a dull roar of laffs. Huh huh huh two three four huh huh huh two three four, ad infinitum. The worst offender seems to be “Two and a Half Men”, but I have never watched it for any length to see whether or not I think it’s funny.

Part of me would love to do dumb things to subvert laugh tracks. Such as put a laugh or two which are so silly and annoying that they call attention to the process. Or have a few people laughing at “inappropriate” times. I can’t do it with factory-pressed discs, but maybe I could distribute some really annoying torrents!

1 Like

I watched an awful lot of MASH (the TV series) during my formative years, one of only two shows I was allowed to ‘stay up late’ for*. On the BBC, with no laugh track. It was wonderful and funny and had pathos and was clever.

And all the repeats I see nowadays are on freeview channels with the laughtrack, and I can’t watch it.

* The other was ‘Not the Nine o’clock News’, go figure.

8 Likes

To play devil’s advocate here: if you really think about it, the idea of sitting all alone laughing at a performance is kind of strange. It’s not what we did all through human history. We sat with groups of people and watched performances, even the King didn’t watch theatre alone. So maybe the producers arent trying to manipulate us, merely trying to soothe our inner baboon.

No doubt this has been studied to death by academics putting people in rooms and studying the differences in how individuals and groups react.

5 Likes

Oh absolutely - the psychology is indeed pretty simple: we’re more likely to laugh if others do, then we convince ourselves that we laughed because it was funny.
Still strips subtlety out, for certain kinds of content, at least.

(Useful test: Find a friend reading a paper. Point at a random line and chuckle. They will tend to laugh back before/while checking for actual humour at that point. Then dissonance hits, they look confused at you and ask ‘what’?

But they still laughed.)

[ETA: Explaining why you did that, reveals part of the lie in consciousness, and they will hate you. ;)]

10 Likes

Eh, my parents took something to them once. They knew the stuff wasn’t worth a lot, but thought they might learn something.

5 Likes

Like you, it was a central part of my tv watching as a kid, I was pretty fanatical about it. Laughtrack or not though, IMHO (don’t mean to crap on your taste) it just hasn’t aged well. Painful to watch, alternates between lame cliched jokes and maudlin. About the only characters I can stand as an adult are Radar O’Reilly and Colonel Potter.

2 Likes

Fair enough. Lots of things don’t bear rewatching with the passage of time and mores. And tastes are personal, I assure you, no crapping is assumed, or taken. :wink:

However, to me, the track still seems to just get in the way. I’d like to be able to judge the aging of the humour on its actual merits, y’know.

5 Likes

I’m pretty sure that the reason I got blocked by Graham Linehan on twitter was to do with something I said to him about laughter tracks.

(I wasn’t even being an arse about it, but it seemed to be a touchy subject)

4 Likes

Relevant: I mentioned this in part as I know it’s an edge case. It took something like the BBC in the 80s to have the desire to want to, and the clout to be able to show a programme like that without the laugh track.

I got that most people here wouldn’t have that experience, so as it related to @popobawa4u’s comment above, and was facilitated by uncommon circumstances, I shared my one experiential data point. :slight_smile:

And as always, everyone else’s mileage can (and will) vary. And that’s cool.

1 Like