Kellogg's is releasing Green Onion-flavored Chex, and the commercial is absolutely bonkers

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/06/30/kelloggs-is-releasing-green.html

3 Likes

Still the best Green Onions I you ask me:

25 Likes

Kellogg’s has apparently decided that the best way to get through 2020 is to lean into it.

22 Likes

Butt-first.

10 Likes

Are those proper green onions they are all carrying? They look a lot more like leeks to me but I am not up to much knowledge of Korean food stuffs.

12 Likes

i desperately want to try these. not with milk, just dry, by the handful, with a beer.

20 Likes

Disappointing that they didn’t actually make them taste like green onion. They could have just included them in snack mixes or something.

18 Likes

The breakfast of champions!

7 Likes

Chex Mix.

8 Likes

I kinda want to know the internal politics of this. Like, it’s not obvious that the chocolate platform is a clear winner in Korea. At the same time, I expect the Kellogg employees who came up with this are Korean. Maybe they were trolling the American execs stateside?

1 Like

:nauseated_face: :face_vomiting:

But that might just be my onion allergy.

6 Likes

Hmmm… Can we be certain this is trolling? Maybe Koreans think green onion is a perfectly suitable flavor for breakfast cereal.

5 Likes

I know I do. Now I want to make some.

That and maybe Grape Nuts with dried minced garlic. Hmmm.

6 Likes

shrug Once I was handed a Japanese chocolate with a shrimp in the center, I kinda lost further capacity for surprise, re: WTF you can cram into chocolate and other sweets ^^'.

(It was odd and not great, but not bad. A good, honest, “Meh.”)

Sounds like the start of a very crunchy coating.

2 Likes

Oh no! Yeah, obviously if you’re allergic, avoid like the plague!

I love onions, but am not sure I’d like a green onion flavored breakfast cereal?

4 Likes

This is what I was trying to get at. I think it likely is seen as a perfectly reasonable flavor for breakfast cereal.

4 Likes

So they celebrate St. Paddy’s Day in Tokyo now?

1 Like

Kimchee, more likely.

BTW, what is the music in the video?

3 Likes

Wtf? I was thinking that green onion Chex, dry, might be good bar food. Yes, as part of a snack mix, even better.

5 Likes

It’s an old hit, stayed on the charts for a super long time despite sounding quite old-timey by the time it came out (and what’s old is new again these days) sung by the same guy, the original chorus said “so sorry, so sorry, I’m sorry that I’m leaving you behind here.” Bright and cheery and gaslighty, It had a slight mean-spirited streak, saying “I loved you, but now I hate you.”

So perfect for answering the trolls, who are now in their mid 20s.

http://blog.daum.net/pysvipm/3640

I haven’t tried it, but I heard on the mukbangs that it’s actually a perfect savory snack, and they put some work into making it appealing despite the reverse-psychology.

2 Likes