Kellogg's is releasing Green Onion-flavored Chex, and the commercial is absolutely bonkers

@anon39846808

Nongshim, a snack-food company, created Nongshim Kellogg’s, a joint venture with Kellogg’s. Alongside Kellogg’s mainstays, they sell some additional local multigrain varieties that frankly taste better than what we get in the US.

What confuses me is that I thought Chex used to be a Ralston Purina product. I remember it romanized as 퓨리나. I’m guessing Nongshim acquired the rights.

Here’s the local Wiki article on the incident. Run your favorite translator on it.
https://namu.wiki/w/파맛%20첵스%20사건

Maybe it’ll make its way to the US to join as the latest quarantine Korean snack-food fad alongside Chappaguri and Dalgona Coffee

3 Likes

My first thought was that they would cheat and just make a savory snack, but learning that they produced a cereal that can actually be eaten with milk – presumably without horking … well that’s pretty impressive.

1 Like

Exactly. Many chex mixes are already savory, or sweet and savory. Seems like a good fit unironically.

2 Likes

Start your day with onion breath.

1 Like

1 Like

One Wikipedia trip later, it seems that green onions are what we in the UK call spring onions.

Those are not spring onions in the video. Those are definitely leeks.

3 Likes

You are probably used to seeing scallions labeled as green onions, that is done a lot in the US. The people in the video are wielding what we would call spring onions but in Korea are large green onions. They are supposed to have a less sharp and sweeter taste than green onions/scallions.

5 Likes

I respectfully disagree. They are not what we consider scallions or green onions, but what we name spring onions. Leeks tend to be one tubular shape whereas spring onions diverge into several tubular shapes. Also leeks have wider leaves that are a darker green.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bonappetit.com/test-kitchen/ingredients/article/spring-alliums/amp

ETA: by we I mean the US. I bow to your knowledge of allium naming conventions in the UK.

3 Likes

It seems more like a snack food on par with potato chips than a breakfast cereal.

1 Like

Its also called a Welsh Onion

2 Likes

TIL. I was aware of scallions but had not seen proper green onions before

4 Likes

Those are some massive spring onions, then. What we call spring onions are quite tiddly things. (They may be what you call scallions.)

1 Like

lol, this ad. At one point they’re even doing a coffin dance thing
coffin dance

2 Likes

Remembering when the trolls sent Pit Bull to Kodiak and he turned it into a big win.

1 Like

Stan Freburg taught me long ago “most people call them green onions, but they’re really scallions.”

1 Like

Thank you!

Further background info: (Ten points to whomever provides any translation)

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.