Kevin McCarthy calls infected GOP colleague Louie Gohmert "Congressman COVID"

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/07/30/kevin-mccarthy-calls-infected.html

5 Likes

Harsh but fair and necessary.

Especially given Gohmert’s Gomers (aides) are literal armed thugs

23 Likes

But isn’t it supposed to be “Congressman Kung Flu” instead?

10 Likes

Trump flu.

21 Likes

That’s how stupid Gohmert is: even other Republicans admit he’s a moron.

19 Likes

https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/medical/louie-gohmert-wonders-if-he-got-covid-19-from-his-face-mask/ar-BB17mGlJ

10 Likes

McCarthy usually calls him “loony louie” when not in public.

3 Likes

On a tangent: how come we call US representatives “congressfolk”, when senators are also members of congress? It’s like referring to bananas exclusively as “fruit” while always calling oranges and pears by their specific names.

6 Likes

He’s the kind of idiot who would say it as an insult on purpose, so I bet he had it in the back of his mind, ready and waiting to use it against a Democrat who got infected. When talking about Gohmert it just came out.

7 Likes

Meanwhile, since learning of his diagnosis, Gohmert continues to wear no mask and to attend congressional sessions. He summoned his congressional staff – who are prohibited from wearing masks while working for him – to the office, so he could tell them of his positive diagnosis in person. Rather than shelter in place at home, he stays in the Congress and administrative offices, despite the urging of his colleagues.

Most recently, Gohmert says he has no idea where and how he contracted the infection, and that he thinks he might have gotten it from wearing a mask. (Source: BBC News).

If stupidity were a form of energy, by now his head would’ve exploded with enough force to flatten several city blocks.

29 Likes

Because referring to most of them as Representative makes those of us they “represent” cry.

3 Likes

My guess is there are too many negative southern racist / slavery connotations to labeling someone as a house anything… but just a guess. :frowning:

(Black Lives Matter. Screw slavery, slavery apologists, confederates, nazis, and racists.)

1 Like

Yet we have a position called the Minority Whip

8 Likes

I would tend to agree with you, the name should really change, as with the majority whip. (Miracle Whip and Dole Whip can probably stay…)

I have always liked “Her Majesty’s Loyal Opposition” as the name for the minority parties coalition in the UK: it reminds everyone that they are still loyal to the country. Of course, for some politicians with a -r, that loyalty may be a mistaken assumption…

2 Likes

13 Likes

“If the shoe fits?”

Nice one.

9 Likes

Bob Dole was Senate Majority and Minority Leader from 1985 through 1996, but he was never a Whip. We missed out on the opportunity to have a Dole Whip.

7 Likes

Hmmm, something about the way he says that and then recovers from his mistake makes me suspect it wasn’t a mistake. Which would be fine with me.

May Gohmert always be known, ever so appropriately,
as Congresscritter Covid.

7 Likes

Gohmert Pyle

6 Likes

The parties all still have “whips” though (their role is actually more important in the Motherfucker of Parliaments). Also, the Opposition is not generally (ever?) a coalition, just the single party with the most seats that’s not included in the government.

But yes, styling them the “loyal” opposition is a good sentiment. (But apparently lost on all those Army officers who plot to overthrow non-Tory governments with monotonous regularity, and face zero consequences for it)

1 Like