Matt Gaetz publicly floats the next possible Speaker after McCarthy gets ousted

Originally published at: Matt Gaetz publicly floats the next possible Speaker after McCarthy gets ousted | Boing Boing

3 Likes

Anyone want to see if Emmer doesn’t float?

Blockquote Matt Gaetz on Newsmax floats Tom Emmer as the possible next speaker if McCarthy is ousted

14 Likes

Another insurrectionist.

18 Likes

Looks like a floater, so…

14 Likes

ah yes good ol’ DUI homophobic antisemitic tax-cutting anti-abortion minimum-wage eliminating gun toting health-care repealing (and so on) Thomas Earl Emmer Jr -sigh-

14 Likes

I really hope they do call McCarthy’s bluff and oust him. I highly doubt they will be able to agree on anybody to fill his place.

McCarthy was about the safest choice they could make and even he couldn’t make it over the finish line without basically giving up the store after 15 embarrassing failures.

No matter who is selected, they won’t get any D votes. And I can’t imagine there being enough of a majority to vote anybody else.

So, what happens? They fire McCarthy and then spend a whole bunch of time without a leader only to… what, fail a bunch of times to agree on someone else? Go the rest of the term with no leader and effectively get (even more) nothing done? Give up and reinstate McCarthy? I don’t get the end game here.

Congress will be paralyzed, but how different is it than how things are now? Not like the R majority is doing anything else of use right now so maybe it’ll distract them from this stupid impeachment inquiry, harassing the DOJ, or any of the other things they are doing besides the actual lawmaking they were elected to do.

Ultimately, the American public loses but this Congress is already a lost cause as far as I’m concerned.

19 Likes

Given that the speaker does not have to be (but always has been) a sitting congressman, they could nominate and vote in just about anyone. That thought scares the bejezus out of me, if you know what I mean.

14 Likes

Unfortunately having no functioning congress at all would be even worse than the partisan clusterfuck of dysfunction we have now. A prolonged shutdown of all Federal services wouldn’t only be bad for Republicans, it would come with a huge price tag for all Americans.

12 Likes

They’ll wait until McCarthy has caved to necessity and funded the government with help from the Democrats. Then they’ll have a justification for kicking him out and no real urgency about filling the seat, which is going to be as impossible as @ficuswhisperer suggests.

9 Likes

Even with this, the dimwit Speaker probably believes he’ll keep the leadership of the GOP House caucus. He’s really giving Gohmert a challenge for the title of dumbest member of Congress.

6 Likes

Matt Gaetz publicly floats the next possible Speaker after McCarthy gets ousted

If he floats, he’s a witch, right?

9 Likes

9 Likes

I hear that Marjorie Taylor Greene is looking for a promotion.

2 Likes

:scream: :scream: :scream:

3 Likes

Disarray.

Just a pack of dogs about the catch the car. Main downside is we’ll be footing the bill for all of it.

2 Likes

Liz Cheney? :smiling_imp:

5 Likes

It also wouldn’t happen. At some point, the 14th Amendment kicks in and allows the Executive Branch to keep doing business. They can’t do anything new but they can declare an emergency and keep the status quo.

4 Likes

Past government shutdowns caused plenty of harm even though none went on long enough to cause the entire nation to collapse. They cost the taxpayers billions, disrupt important programs like scientific studies, interrupt critical services for veterans and seniors, halt FDA inspections that could save lives, harm the Federal workforce, etc. When you add up the cumulative effects you realize even a short-term shutdown comes with a body count even if it’s not easy to quantify directly.

There’s no such thing as a government shutdown that doesn’t hurt average Americans.

10 Likes

To what, human?

6 Likes

True. I’m just frustrated.

Ok, I’ll just keep beating the other 14A drum, that the entire Freedom Caucus should be forcibly removed from office. Notify the states that they need to replace those representatives and, meanwhile, get enough actual legislation through to run the country through 2025 before they are replaced with worse MAGAts.

7 Likes