Kevin McCarthy ousted as House Speaker

Originally published at: Kevin McCarthy ousted as House Speaker | Boing Boing

9 Likes

Making Kevin McCarthy the only person Matt Gaetz screwed who’s over the age of 17.

52 Likes

episode 8 goodbye GIF

22 Likes

Sad Clap GIF by FX Networks

25 Likes

Tempted to steal this for the headline. Magnificent work, @Mangochin

20 Likes

Thank you. But it was already stolen. I am just passing it along from another site.
So feel free to spread it around.

15 Likes

29 Likes

I’m willing to put money on Steve Scalise…the only man whose ever been shot, almost died, and then vociferously opposed any gun control legislation.

16 Likes

Am I the only one here who has very mixed feelings about this? :grimacing:

39 Likes

No, you’re not. I’m happy to see him go, but it leaves an opening that could and may likely be filled by someone worse.

ETA: Added more words to clarify agreement

24 Likes

McCarthy joins an illustrious list of recent former Republican house speakers:

• Gingrich (ousted over ethics violations)
  • Hastert (child molester)
  • Boehner (ousted by crazy freedom caucus)
  • Ryan (quit because of having to work with crazy Trump)
  • This guy (ousted by crazy wing that he was also a part of)
24 Likes

Remember, he wasn’t ousted for supporting bogus election fraud claims or allowing a partisan impeachment inquiry or empowering fascists. He was ousted because he found a teensy tiny bit of common ground with Democrats.

The new speaker pro tem used one of his first acts in office to evict Nancy Pelosi from her office while she was in California to attend Dianne Feinstein’s funeral.

IMG_0198

25 Likes

Okay, so, kind of my definition of mixed feelings. I’m no McCarthy fan, but this:

And in the current landscape, I don’t know that we’ll get any better, and the ousting and ensuing scuffle to replace him is going to cause even more chaos.
Only time will tell.

ETA - @GospelX thanks for the edit. I originally misread your post and thought you were disagreeing. Thanks for letting me know I’m not alone.

20 Likes

Whoopsi-doodle, chuckle-fuck. LOL.

4 Likes

Is this the 5th dimensional move where they make Trump the Speaker?

5 Likes

How can you not expect a blown-out speaker when you give the base too much power?

(Forgive the homophone.)

(Not mine, either.)

17 Likes

Why can’t the non-crazy Republicans, and I know there are a few, get together with the Dems to give the Speakership to the Dems? The Republicans could cut a deal with him/her in exchange for abnormally outsized input in much the same way the MAGAtz pressured McCarthy . . . If the Dems chose good R partnets, they could all work for the good of the country. Some effective GOP input in the House would be a welcome change over the crazy we’ve seen the last few years. With some good PR, the MAGAt’z wings could be well clipped and the country could possibly recover from the special brand of inept self-interest they brought to the table.

9 Likes

That train of rational actors working together for common interrests is long gone for the GQP. The crazy clowns had taken over. The only way I can see how we surviving this is to outlasting them, at the same time hitting them with lawsuit, fine, ethic violation removal, etc… to whitle down their numbers and influence. The most important thing, getting rid of Tr*mp, their foreman. The whole movement was fueled by this monster and his enablers. Cut the head off and hope not another one popping out while we try to fix the broken system.

Also, what you suggested is basically political suicide in current political climate, crazy or not. So I don’t think any of them would do it as what happened to Liz Cheney and McCarthy.

17 Likes

yeah, anyone that rational would already be in the democratic party i suspect.

10 Likes

Nope sis; you are not.

21 Likes