“Air bags! Can ya fuckin’ believe it!”
“But the car burst into flames!”
Sprinkler system! Can ya fuckin’ believe it!!!”
“Yeah! Yeah that’s probably what happened!”

4 Likes

World

DOMINATION

2 Likes

He was great in Moonlighting too! I think this feel for light comedy is what made him a unique action star, though. There’s a lot of humor in the Die Hard movies, for example, and it’s hard to imagine his contemporaries (your Stallones, your Schwarzeneggers, your Segals, et al) pulling off that genre. His comedy was also important in Fifth Element, where he’s a pretty spot-on dopey straight man to Leeloo

9 Likes

Stallone does a great job in the comedy movie Oscar, though he is propped up by an amazing cast as well

2 Likes

And to be fair, Schwarzenegger is great in Kindergarten Cop as well. I think there’s more of a “laughing at them” element when those other action stars do comedy though. In contrast, Willis is really carrying the comedy himself.

2 Likes

I genuinely love Oscar, i think Stallone does a good job with the mob boss role and the comedic timing works :slight_smile: But like i mentioned i think it’s likely due to all of the talent in front and behind the scenes as to why it works so well. Stallone isn’t really an actor i enjoy watching normally

2 Likes

kevin smith good job GIF by IMDb

Smith seems like a truly awesome human. Just his constant saving of Mewes would be enough to confirm that, but good on him for burying the hatchet with Willis.

4 Likes

Honestly, there’s plenty of comic relief in the Rocky movies that he carries very well also. Particularly Rocky IV with the robot and such. He leans into “I’m just a dope who hit it big and don’t know what I’m doing” and it works really well.

1 Like
3 Likes

"I’m making time!"

2 Likes

Oh, I will never forget watching this with my GF at the time, and her mom was watching it with us, and that line just came out of nowhere and hit me, and I laughed wayyyy too hard and way too long at that. My GF was only nominally Catholic, but her mother was very much an adherent.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.