KFC's idea of honey is this bag of glop

“HFCS + sugar + honey + fructose… and less than 2% molasses, where is my super-suit?”

7 Likes

Well that’s the issue. Its not like there are mixed honey products on the shelves that are labeled clearly as just that if you look closely, trying to pass themselves off as plain honey.

Its that a good portion of products labeled “100% pure honey” aren’t. A a good portion of products labled as products of the USA (including Utah), Canada, Europe and other nations. Aren’t from there. Its a problem of counterfeit products essentially. Olive oil has a similar issue.

3 Likes

After all of the great, ignored ideas I’ve submitted to the BB Submitterator, Frauenfelder has to resort to rummaging through the leftover cruft in the break room to get something posted.

Sigh… I fold.

2 Likes

I’m not sure what Utah honey products you are talking about. I worked for Utah Dept. of Agriculture and Food and they have very strict laws with their products and labling. They marketed a grassroots organization, UtahsOwn that protects Utah food and agricultire products from being misappropriated, mislabled, misrepresented, etc. I even know the head of the Utah BeeKeepers Assoc. and many of its members. You too can be a beekeeper in Utah. All you have to do is contact them. Of course you have to read the labels but if a Utah product says %100 Pure Honey, the ingredients will state that on the label or bottle. It’s one thing Utah does well is protect its food source and how it is produced and distributed.

3 Likes

I think what @Ryuthrowsstuff is referring to are people slapping fake labels on fake honey, thereby diluting the market with knockoff products claiming to be from reputable areas.

Or I’m totally wrong.

1 Like

Farmer’s market, CA; I buy directly from the local bee farmers.

7 Likes

local

These are LOCAL bees, for LOCAL people! We’ll have no trouble here!

…sorry…

5 Likes

Those don’t look like “gentlemen” to me…

But seriously; it just makes sense to support the independent local farmers wherever you live.

7 Likes

I agree. It’s just that whenever anyone says anything to me involving the word “local”, that’s what catapults to my mind. And from there the next thought usually involves turtles. I’m damaged.

2 Likes

Meanwhile, turtles always make me think of Terry Pratchett, Stephen King, and Doctor Seuss.

4 Likes

Yeah pretty much. Chinese produced honey gets filtered heavily to help hide its origin, diluted with corn syrup. Then labeled as honey, 100% pure honey, product of USA, Canada, France etc. And dumped or slipped into the market as regular old honey. Its more common with some appelations or types of products than others. And a certain amount of actual US produced honey (or anywhere prosuced honey) gets mixed into the same product lines.

Some of it is perfectly legal, hiding behind funny labeling technicalities. Some of it is out and out fake product.

I’ve heard Polish Honey is seldom faked and rarely adulterated. Its also very good honey. Honey labeled as unfiltered is apparently more often “clean”. Local honey is of course easier to be sure it hasnt been messed with. And specific varietals, appelation labels are a safer bet than just generic “honey”. 100% pure honey is less likely to be “fake” than “honey”. And so forth.

@YetiLives

That’s nice. But while I’m willing to bet Utah labeled honey is less likely to be adulterated than honey without such a statement. Most states have such programs at this point. And they haven’t proved immune. As there’s little ability to keep a Chinese processor from throwing a “made in Utah” label on their bear shaped jar of corn syrup and charging a premium for it.

Beyond that while I can find French, Polish, Russian, Japanese, Canadian, Greek, Turkish, NY, Local, Canadian and various New England labeled honeys easy enough near me. I’ve never seen Utah and would be hard presses to find it in the North East. If I tumbled upon it I might be suspicious because its sits well outside the usual supply and import chains for my area.

1 Like

Hmm. I’d phrase that as

3 Likes

I have to laugh. Making lemonade for my brother’s two boys (5 and 6) for the first time, and I get the 5 year old to help with the chore then ask him to taste the initial concoction for correctness. He screams out, “It’s too sweet! It’s too sweet!”

Probably because the Old Testament doesn’t say anything about “the land of milk and high fructose corn syrup.”

8 Likes

Sauce? Brrrrrr! I’m still trying to get used to B’klyn friends calling pasta meat sauce “Sunday gravy”.

1 Like

When I worked fast food as a teen we tried to do that, but managers yelled at us. We weren’t allowed to prepare for the lunch/dinner rush because people would complain that their food wasn’t fresh made, and those complaints went to management. Instead we had to rush to make it while we listened to the customers complain about having to wait. But those complaints were aimed at us, not management, so that was considered okay.

4 Likes

There is an old saying in Performance Management: “tell me how you’re going to measure me, and I’ll tell you how I’m going to perform.” Presumably, your bonus wasn’t tied to customer complaints …

3 Likes

The irritating thing about that is that shit does have lactose in it. I can’t eat dairy at all without getting sick and it’s just plain anger inducing to find lactose in margarine and “Buttery Spread”

Only way to be safe it to go for vegan options.

6 Likes

It was 2010. Circular pizzas.

2 Likes

A) It doesn’t claim to be honey and B) What the fuck do you expect? you voluntarily went to KFC.

3 Likes