Kickstarting a gigantic retrospective on the wonderful, lo-fi Cheapass Games

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/04/15/kill-doctor-lucky.html

1 Like

Some games definitely worked better than others. We always had a blast with the simplistic but fun Unexploded Cow. The complexity of US Patent #1 was a major turn off for my friends. Kill Doctor Lucky is still a great game.

5 Likes

And Kill Doctor Lucky is actually simple enough to attract “normals”. I have a number of friends and relatives that refuse to play anything “complicated” (that is anything more complicated than Risk) – but they liked KDL.

5 Likes

Hell with the book - give me the games!

4 Likes

I was also fond of Capt. Parks Imaginary Polar Expedition.

3 Likes

Yeah KS has been recommending this to me but I stopped reading at “a book about the games…”

1 Like

A bunch of the games are up on the Cheapass site - he’s releasing one a day for the 30 days of the campaign, so you can pick up a bunch. Very happy to have the book even if it’s not an “every Cheapass game ever” print-and-play.

4 Likes

I’ve got both KDL and Captain Parkes - similar mechanic turned on its head.

We played Kill Doctor Lucky with pieces from a child’s Winnie The Pooh game and Tigger bludgeoned Pooh to death in the library with a wrench. Now that’s entertainment!

4 Likes

If you’re willing to give it a chance, here’s a link to a small sample chapter, about the game Huzzah.

We’ve also put a useful listing of where to find many of the games, either as print-and-plays, print-on-demand or deluxe editions, in Update #3 on the project.

The book covers designer notes and company history, as well as all of the rules (which is all you need for a bunch of the Chief Herman games). :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Fools rush to judgment with no information don’t we? I’m looking at that now, and I see the games on your site.

1 Like

Today we posted a new update, with a second preview chapter - all about Kill Doctor Lucky.

Do check out all the print-and-plays (today we posted the original Save Doctor Lucky). We’re also having daily Twitter/FB challenges where you can possibly win an old archive copy of one of our titles. :slight_smile:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.