Kickstarting a metal, reusable, self-extracting straw

raiders

5 Likes

Pretty sure this is an environmental net loss. The amount of energy required to make a single metal straw + case must at least a thousand times higher than a cheap plastic straw, and no one is going to use a reusable straw over a thousand times.

1 Like

What’s wrong with using a rolled-up $100 bill like everybody else?

8 Likes

Good point. Paper straws are probably as cheap as plastic if we can get the assembly line for them up and running in the mass quantities they used to be produced. But then, that wouldn’t make any money for kickstarter hipsters, would it?.

I looked, too, before I commented upthread. Nearly all the “500 million” quotes are without a citation, and those which have one point here-

http://www.ecocycle.org/bestrawfree

-which appears to, shall we say, lack mathematical rigor.

Already out there, we use them at home in these.

https://www.amazon.com/Water-Bottle-Accessories/b/ref=dp_bc_4?ie=UTF8&node=2403094011

But if fast food joints gave them away with the drinks, they’d mostly still wind up in landfills. Paper is the way to go.

1 Like

And another thing, Psirens use metal straws to suck the brain out of their victims’ skulls.

They are meant to replace the straws used in fast food beverage cups. Reusable straws, like the one shown in this kickstarter, are meant to be an environmentally responsible alternative to the plastic disposable straw.

A few cities around the world have banned plastic disposable straws recently. Apparently, over 500 million plastic straws are used and disposed in the US each day..

1 Like

I was referring to @Grey_Devil 's weird little spoons. Which he says are for mixing, not sweet, sweet, heroin.

1 Like

These bamboo straws look cool in this nice clean, dry bundle but…

A few months ago, I was in a dirt-floor, open air, cafe in rural Mexico. We received our drinks and asked for popotes (straws – before we had fully appreciated the evil of plastic straws and assessed the risk/benefit of drinking beverages in dusty Mexican cafes with or without plastic straws). Our hostess happily brought us a handful of these bamboo straws and… OH GOD THE HORROR. They were wet (hopefully washed, hopefully washed in bottled water, hopefully sanitized in some rural Mexican way). And, as wet bamboo does, the bamboo straws had swollen to the point that you could not see through the straws as you might look through a cardboard tube. Instead, holding the straws to our eyes, the insides were black and sort of fuzzy looking - no daylight to be seen through this little tube of doom. Needless to say, I opted to go bare lips to beverage and skip the bamboo popotes.

Yeaaah reused wet straws is a nope for me

1 Like

Woah, Batman straw!

1 Like

Yes all that I saw point to that, including one from the NPS, which I mistakenly assumed was a good authority. Maybe I’m right and 1.6 straws per man, woman, child, baby, grandmother, etc, per day, is rather a lot and difficult to believe. Whatever, I hope we’ll all use less straws and less plastic stuff in general. And stop drinking Frapucinnos.

Where do I get these? Asking for a friend*…

*LARP Character

1 Like

Lol i did see some on Amazon, just look for bamboo straws :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.