Kilauae just exploded

The good news is, that so far no deaths reported:

6 Likes

Plus Hawaii is a little bigger now, so that’s kind of cool (albeit not for the current residents).

8 Likes

I think they are still expecting more activity. Hopefully, everyone will stay safe!

9 Likes

As I understand it, these explosions (so far) are phreatic eruptions at the summit caldera, as opposed to phreatomagmatic or effusive eruptions.

https://volcanoes.usgs.gov/vsc/glossary/phreatic_eruption.html

There are lots of dangers. What is esp unsettling is the possibility that the magma chamber drains to around 50%, material falls into the chute from earthquakes, pressurizing an empty space, and then the entire caldera collapses, thus exposing the magma chamber and resulting in a huge huger than huge effusive eruption that would cause untold damage.

So far, though, things are wild but not too dangerous.

4 Likes

Somewhat unsettlingly, I was just discussing Krakatoa with a friend yesterday.

I am more worried about Yellowstone. Steamboat geyser has erupted 4 or 5 times this year, and hadn’t erupted since something like 2014, I think. So, something is going on inside the earth… magma’s movin’ and I hope it all stays down there. If Yellowstone erupted, that would take out like 1/10th of the USA and blanket half of the country in a thick coat of carcinogenic ash. Anyways, on a brighter note, puppies!

5 Likes

Visualization of sulfur dioxide venting from Kilauae via EarthWindMap:

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.