World's largest volcano in Hawaii has erupted, and it's stunning to watch (video)

Originally published at: World's largest volcano in Hawaii has erupted, and it's stunning to watch (video) | Boing Boing

6 Likes

The “World’s Largest Volcano In Hawaii”.

It’s like you drew words out of a hat.

2 Likes

Or just missed a comma.

5 Likes

Oh, great, the slow apocalypse keeps on rolling.

5 Likes

Hawaii’s governor: “We’re all gonna die!! Abandon your posts! Flee for your lives!!”

4 Likes

On a sidenote, I think I’ve finally figured out that the vog blowing in from the Big Island is what triggers my allergies. Once Mauna Loa started dumping various gases into the air at a huge rate, my eyes started itching madly. The last time they were doing this was pre-COVID, during the Kilauea eruption that took out a couple of housing developments.

11 Likes

Sounds about right, there is some evidence that low levels of sulfur dioxide can enhance respiratory allergic conditions:

Sorry to hear it causes you problems - and very, very jealous you get to live in Hawaii.

4 Likes

and now as a result of reading so much about this eruption, i’ve learned about Pele’s Hair and Pele’s Tears. so cool.

2 Likes

I remember reading about those many years ago in my early elementary schools days, but haven’t thought about them in just about as many years. Thanks for the reminder!

Here’s a picture with both:

6 Likes

When was the last time you saw a comma in a hat?

1 Like

World’s Largest Volcano (comma) in Hawaii.

But to address your point, never.
'Hat you very much.
:slightly_smiling_face:

ETA: an r

1 Like

I was trying to work a semicolon joke into that post, but I couldn’t get there without my inner Grammar Nazi beating me up.

2 Likes

N;ce try all the same.

2 Likes

It’s happened before

2 Likes

One of the techniques of dadaist poetry

Gotta add the word “active” in there too. If the La Garita Caldera (or even the slightly smaller Yellowstone Caldera, which is just a baby in the geological timescale) goes off it’s not going to be a fun news story with pretty photos.

1 Like

I knew about the potential danger of Yellowstone, but I’ve never heard of La Garita.
South American?

Colorado. La Garita is probably not much of a hazard because it last erupted 28 million years ago. But it was among the largest known eruptions in earth’s history. Bigger than Yellowstone and officially classified as a “Mega-colossal” eruption event which is five categories worse than “severe.”

In contrast the current Mauna Loa eruption is the lowest classification, “effusive.”

4 Likes

Thanks. Learned something new today.

Mauna Kea last erupted about 4,500 years ago and is likely to erupt again. Its quiescent periods between eruptions are long compared to those of the active volcanoes Hualālai (which erupts every few hundred years), Mauna Loa (which erupts every few years to few tens of years) and Kīlauea (which erupts every few years).