Kill sticky headers: a bookmarklet to get rid of the web's static blobs

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/08/09/fixed-position-harmful.html

3 Likes

Does it work on google maps? Because there’s nothing more infuriating to someone with ageing eyes than trying to zoom on a map on a phone so you can actually read that street name, just to have it rescale back to illegibility…

3 Likes

just tested it on a Wired article I read yesterday: Great success!
thank you for this godsend, @doctorow.

the only other bookmarklet I use is the one from the wikipedia article on bookmarklets (natch.) It’s great. while browsing any webpage, if you come across a term you don’t know, you select the text and click the bookmarklet and the wiki entry for what you selected opens in a new tab. an indispensable addition to one’s toolbar:
javascript:(function() { function se(d) { return d.selection ? d.selection.createRange().text : d.getSelection() } s = se(document); for (i=0; i<frames.length && !s; i++) s = se(frames[i].document); if (!s || s=='') s = prompt('Enter%20search%20terms%20for%20Wikipedia',''); open('http://en.wikipedia.org' + (s ? '/w/index.php?title=Special:Search&search=' + encodeURIComponent(s) : '')).focus(); })();

I’d seriously love some way to block all those annoying “Subscribe to our newsletter”, fixed navigation bars, GPDR “Yes, this website uses cookies” notifications, etc. While I like the idea of this, I think I’d rather have an extension. To use the bookmarklet provided, you have to have the bookmark toolbar enabled, which is another thing I disable to free up screen space. Pass.

1 Like

Just tried this on CNN. Awesome sauce !

Very slick. I was searching for a plugin to do the same but this is easier and more hackable.

It totally breaks the reply window on BB but that’s to be expected. Refreshing resolves it.

1 Like

Love this idea - but the wiki lookup script doesn’t work for me (either on Firefox or Opera). The KillSticky bookmarklet works, however. Any ideas why? Could it be a popup blocker?

Hm! I’ve a project I’m working on where this could pose a problem.

I wonder if there’s an easy way to fix the size of an element so it never scales up or down in CSS.

hmm, my firefox is really out of date, and I’ve had this bookmarklet for a long time.
here’s the source, though.

ETA I see the wiki url in my paste automatically linkified, some people clicked it and Discourse inserts the number of clicks after the url, so maybe that’s it. I’ll use the code function and fix it up there.

Awesome, these things are the worst.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.